corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa rear drums - problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa rear drums - problems
richc

User status: Offline
19th May 08 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right. About 2 months ago (mot time) i had new shoes and handbreak cable! The mot tester said they were binding slightly (over adjusted)!

I went around donnington, and fried them! I were told this shouldnt of happend as the rears dont do enough braking (i wonderd why they were shit hot as usually corsa b brakes arent...very...erm,.....good!)

A coulpe days later they properly binded and cyclinders pop!

My mechanic/friend sorted this with new shoes/cylinders about 3 weeks ago and it has happend again!

Siezed up and now poped the cylinders. RAC to rescue and first thing he said was have they been recently adjusted, i told him what happend and he confirmed. Over adjusted and ripped the shoes aprt!

I phone my friend and told him and he says they are on self adjuster and said they tighten them selves up, so its going to keep doing it!

I said what i think, and basically said no! Surely if you do them too tight, when they try to slightly adjust them selves after a little wear, they goo stupid tight. If done not as tight, they will not pull as hard and will properly adjust them selves!

Explain please folks!
notts.pirate

19th May 08 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the self adjusted are useless in my experience

did your mate clean the slef adjusters up at all when he fitted the new bits ??
Baskey

19th May 08 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your cars lowered it can play havoc with the self adjustors. I had no problems where as everytime my mate broke in his corsa, the rear end wanted to overtake the front.
richc

19th May 08 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by notts.pirate
the self adjusted are useless in my experience

did your mate clean the slef adjusters up at all when he fitted the new bits ??

Yer he did! It was since the handbreak cable went (he says you might aswell change the shoes whilst your at it, they are low and it saves a job, which he were right) But both times they have been/end up over adjusted and ripping the pads off the shoes and pop the cylinders. Now it will need drums aswell!
richc

19th May 08 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
If your cars lowered it can play havoc with the self adjustors. I had no problems where as everytime my mate broke in his corsa, the rear end wanted to overtake the front.

But it has been lowerd for litterally years. In the time i have had it (over a year) i have never had a problem with them. Just since he changed them first time it has happend twice. And It didnt try to overtake the front either!
bubble

19th May 08 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brake bias valve is seized.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th May 08 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
everytime my mate broke in his corsa, the rear end wanted to overtake the front.
That isn't adjustment, that is bias, there's a compensator valve which adjusts braking force if the car is loaded up. Lowering moves the compensation without the extra weight = rear lock up. Not all cars have the valve. It's mounted on the right side of the rear beam.
ainsley_brader

20th May 08 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing to do with the bias valve at all.

Shoes most probably incorrectly adjusted. The automatic adjusters never work so they certainly woulndt over tighten themselves.
stewart_2004

21st May 08 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had the same problem recently where the rear drums have been really tight on one side it has damaged the wheel bearing and also has warped the drum Both the drum and wheel were getting very hot so now I have to replace both
richc

21st May 08 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted again anyways. See how it goes. Not as tight this time and morew new shoes

New Poll