corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa C steering

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa C steering
Pinaar

User status: Offline
25th May 08 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a Corsa C (reg 04 on 53 plate) the steering has become really heavy at times. It seems to be when at either slow speeds or stationary, when it should be getting lighter. This makes parking difficult. I know these cars have an electric power steering system, is this a known problem? Any help appreciated.
James_H

25th May 08 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the motor useally packs up, but i would get it checked on tech 2 to see for dtc's
Pinaar

27th May 08 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After closer inspection, it seems that if the steering is used a lot on full lock for around 20 mins, as it is at the moment as my son is learning to drive in it and when we go and do 3 point turns and parrallel parking for a while the steering seems to tighten up. Is this some sort of safety feature to stop the electric motor burnig out?
deano87

27th May 08 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say heavy, how heavy do you mean? As in if the car wasn't running at all?

I have a 12v with PAS and mine goes heavy, but this is when doing parallel parks etc. Because the power steering is obviously electrical, it requires power from the engine. Naturally the engine speeds will vary accordingly to how much power is being sapped from it but this isn't always the case.

Try getting your son to give it a bit of throttle continuously when parking i.e. over 1krpm, it might help.

New Poll