corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » deepdish wheels

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author deepdish wheels
jibjob

User status: Offline
4th Jun 08 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right after messing about with a set of wheels i had for another car i found they fitted but because they are 7inch wide rims they stick out just past my arch. this leaves me with a dilema and a couple of questions.

firstly whats the legal parts of how far a wheel can stick out and what are the fines/penalties?

secondly it rubs on the back when i corner and go over some bumps due to it being low anyway. it only rubs on the rear arches and so isnt such a problem as rubbing on the metal would be but how would i get round it rubbing? ive already got stiffened and shortened dampers and stiffened springs so theres not really a lot i can do with the suspension so is there any arch mods or anything that would help?

thirdly if i was going to remove my arch and weld a plate arch on and to smooth it in do people think it would look good and/or is it possible or bin done before?

any help would be great as im pretty stuck as its going to cost me £75 tyre every week!! lol
ed

4th Jun 08 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's illegal for your wheels to stick out futher than the arches.

The only wat to stop them rubbing is by cutting off whatever they are rubbing on and using more/bigger bumpstops to lock out the suspension a bit more or getting wheels that fit.

I've got my plastic arch trims smoothed in rather than replacing them with metal. There is also extensive arch work on the rears to get my big wheels under them. So with a bit of chopping and glue-ing you can probably get your wheels to stop scraping.

Not the best pic... But you can see the arches. I think it looks good
l15ter

4th Jun 08 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not legal, its depends on how the copper is feeling lol, but there normally aint bothered, but watch out for traffic cops because there most likey to pull you over, it could b from a fine, to points, to normally just taking your car off u but just dnt be stupid near them and they wont really bother as my mates wheels stick out of his polo more than just an inch, his are 8" wide with an offset of -3 lol and has on been pulled once because they thought the wheel was coming off.
LukeD

4th Jun 08 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legally -Tyre Tread must be inside arch.

I have 7inch wide wheels and the tread is level with the standard arch. To keep it legal and reduce problems of rubbing i have very stretched tyres onto the rims. (Bringing the tyres inside the arch) im 100mm rear and fine. However i have also debolted and grinded the inner arches away. this may be a simple worthwhile idea for you. Or maybe Wider arches?
jibjob

4th Jun 08 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so basically the best option is to go for stretched tyres and to do a bit of cutting and filing??

where would i get wider arches from without having to get new bumpers?

where do i get new bump stops from?

and finally if i was going to remove parts of my arch which bits do i remove and how much do i remove as i dont want to remove too much as theres no going back.
123calumt

4th Jun 08 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://kirkcaldycruise.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=491&view=unread#unread have a look ^
LukeD

4th Jun 08 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unbolt the arches and cut some of the metal away and then bond your arches back on.

and yes stretched tyres will help, if they will suit the rims (which im guessing will do so)
yozzer2008

5th Jun 08 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics of ur wheels jibjob
jibjob

5th Jun 08 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll try and get some pics up but my phones broke so might take me a while but i'll probably be up fez on sunday after work if your going to be there yozzer
jibjob

5th Jun 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o ye and cheers for the help and info lads
yozzer2008

5th Jun 08 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

goin pvs dont now wat time b back

New Poll