corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » TB'd C16XE misfiring under load

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TB'd C16XE misfiring under load
dhdev

User status: Offline
13th Jun 08 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Nova has developed a misfire under load. On partt throttle the engine seems fine, and will accelerate through the rev range. However as soon as I apply a more generous helping of the go pedal, it splutters so badly I have to back off. So far I have checked:-
Plugs - BCP7EVX (SBD recommended) all gapped properly and showing only slight carbon fouling (as a result of the problem as opposed to the cause I believe)
Leads - Magnecore blue silicon 8.5mm jobbies, all in excellent condition
Throttle pot - Good stable reading at idle and seems to be linear and stable right up to WOT (tested with multimeter)
Throttle body balance - Checked the bodies to ensure that there was no imbalance.

i don't believe it is due to under fuelling (bad injectors, pump on its way out etc) due to the carbon fouling of the plugs (excessive fuelling)

Between myself and Lee303 we have narrowed it down to possibly the coolant temp sensor being dodgy and tricky the ECU into thinking its cold all the time.

Does anyone else have any likely causes of failure? The misfire is not rev related (so unlikely crank sensor).

Engine spec is basically throttle bodied C16XE (taper bodies), SBD ex manifold, Omega pistons, cream injectors, ported head (std valves), hyd lifters, mild cams.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
birchieboy

13th Jun 08 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what managment?
possibly the map?

[Edited on 13-06-2008 by birchieboy]
broster
Premium Member

14th Jun 08 at 04:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get your laptop on it to check the coolant temp sensor. be the easiest way.
dhdev

14th Jun 08 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry should have said, it's MBE management. I doubt it'll be the map as its been fine since it was mapped probably 3yrs back
Broster, I don't have a lead at the mo, Olly Hewitt has offered to pop over later to help diagnose the prob with his lead.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

14th Jun 08 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going to post what mark said, get it plugged in and see the live readings.

coilpack? what type are you using?
dhdev

14th Jun 08 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laptop plugged in and all was fine. So DIS pack was the culprit, checked with the one off Olly H's motor.

Where's best to get a new one from? How much and which is the best type? I was using the SBD supplied one.
broster
Premium Member

14th Jun 08 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what type of plug does it have on it? is it pug, ford of vauxhall?
Adam-D

14th Jun 08 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chrex has a coil/dis pack spare?

if you need one,
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

15th Jun 08 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably vaux ecotec 2.0 from SBD. can get them from your local motorfactors for around 35 quid.

New Poll