corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Astra Van 1.7 DTi 2002

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra Van 1.7 DTi 2002
Tom B

User status: Offline
13th Jul 08 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well basically driving home friday night and i started getting a whislte from the turbo and started losing power luckily i was quite close to home so i pulled over and the car started redlining by it self i took they key out and it was still running, had a 10mm spanner in the back so i disconnected the battery and it was still redlining, ( didnt think to just put it in 5th and stall it at the time) by this time it has overheated and the radiator popped, white smoke was pouring out the back i could see a thing even the fire brigade were out! Eventually it cut out. I left it overnight as i was so pissed off at the time, next morning it it starts but only revs to 3k still poures out with white smoke and turns off ok. basically ive had someone look at it and they said the turbo went and the engine was running on oil, what i want to know is weather i will just get away with buying a new turbo? or do i need a new engine?
Tom B

13th Jul 08 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom B

13th Jul 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was told the headgasket may have gone aswell due to it overheating and the radiator blowing?
Fraser Young

13th Jul 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hard to tell from exactly how the turbo malfunctioned. e.g. Blades can come off and fire down into the intercooler, requiring that to be replaced.

I dont know whether any damage to the block will have occured but I wouldnt have thought so tbh. Personally would be of the mindset that Id try replacing the turbo +/- Intercooler and hoping for the best.

If not, youve replaced 1(or 2) parts that you definitely knew were fault anyyway and leaves you to source a block itself worse case scenario.
Tom B

13th Jul 08 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that makes sense
Tom B

14th Jul 08 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might just be easier to buy a new block with a turbo

New Poll