corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Track tyres - what options....?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track tyres - what options....?
Butler

User status: Offline
9th Sep 08 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yoko A048s
Toyo R888s
Avon ACB10

Theres some michelin semi slicks too im sure? Not sure of the name. Looking about ive found loads of random though, these for example... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICHELIN-15-TARMAC-RALLY-RACE-TRACK-HILLCLIMB-TYRES_W0QQitemZ150290180819QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150290180819&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

How would tarmac rally tyres compare to ones not labelled as being rally related like the 888s and a048 semi slicks? Will the compound be much different?

Also was wondering why full slicks arent allowed on alot of track days?? Ive seen some michelins with just a few grooves in them, like F1 style, would they count as illegal on track days and on the road?

The Avons look very appealing, just looking at them anyway. They also come in a 45 profile!

So what else is available and what have people used?

Cheers
Paul_J

9th Sep 08 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what happened to those wheels you were gonna buy with r888s?
Robin
Premium Member

9th Sep 08 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Yokos come in 45 profile too, if you know how

I'm using R888s, not tried anything else, but everyone I've spoken to seemed to rate them, they also were the right price, but only available in 195/50

The Avons are probably brilliant, for about 10 minutes, if Avon road tyres are anything to go by.

The Yokos, if they're good enough as OE fitment for some 'kit car' companies, they're probably a very good tyre, but not as many people use them for some reason.

I'd imagine that, as long as they're e-marked, you can use them on a track day.

We frequently use full slicks on track days on one of our cars BTW, Dunlops IIRC.

ps. weekendracer....
Paul_J

9th Sep 08 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'for some reason' robin?

The reason why I didn't get yoko ao48 instead of r888 is because of the cost...

ao48's are like double the cost.

R888's are normal tyre prices.

Even the lower levels of motorsport are moving from ao48 to r888s due to cost, for example mr2 challenge series.
Butler

9th Sep 08 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
what happened to those wheels you were gonna buy with r888s?

I am getting them, not sure il keep them tho. Not really what I was after... Martin said hed have them off me at same price anyway so will try them first.
Butler

9th Sep 08 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideally id love to keep my wheels now for road wheels and get some more and fit full slicks and use them solely on track. Im sure ive heard the combe people at least say that slicks arent allowed. Anyone know why this is? Does it apply to all track days?
Paul_J

9th Sep 08 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because most of british weather is wet?
RCS

10th Sep 08 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the reason for wanting a 45 profile?

What springs/dampers/arbs you running?
Butler

10th Sep 08 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont particularly want it really, just seemed better suited. A smaller sidewall is stronger, although im sure they are all built to last.

Im pretty adamant semi slicks would be the next upgrade to get in order to get the most out of my LSD, granted full slicks will be overkill with my current springs not being as hard as they could be.
Lucky B

12th Sep 08 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH i dont think your going to spend £600 on a set of new 4 Avon ACB10's when it sounds like you already have a set of R888's...

Unless... be quick... and dont say i'm not good to you...

...and unless you plan to spend £1k+ on your suspension you'd be a fool to buy slicks...

Having tested the rubber on both used R888's & ACB10's with a durometer i can tell you the the compounds are pretty much the same but with the R888 having more tread on it from new and costing half as much its the sensible option.

[Edited on 12-09-2008 by Lucky B]
Mattb

12th Sep 08 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have two sets of yoko A048's medium and soft.. not had them on the track yet tho... seem to be quite good on the road.. i was shocked at what pressure yoko recommend them to be run at! (17psi!)

£75 a corner for 185/55?/14
nikkijamie

13th Sep 08 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my AO48's were £117 each in a 195/50/50 so that why people use R888's at about £72 each

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Track tyres - what options....? 23 database queries in 0.0143950 seconds