corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO people with 'runarounds'...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO people with 'runarounds'...
Brabus

User status: Offline
12th Sep 08 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Considering going halfs on a cheap little car with my mate. We currently take it in turns to car share to work and back which is appox 30miles there and back. So that works out 600miles a month but by the time ive been the mrs and gym im clocking up 50-60 miles a day.

The soloution:

Go halfs with my mate on a car, eg. VW Polo, £400 1.4, make sure its tax'd and mot'd. So thats £200 each.

We could use this for work and back each day and possibly at night for any trips but use own cars at weekend. This way we would save milage on our cars, plus petrol(we both own clio sports, mine is only a couple of months old but has only done 10k) plus we will be saving money on maintence ie tyres, breaks and the cars will just generally be in better condition and will probally look forward more to using them at the weekends rather than getting bored of them using them everyday.

My question is, for you people who have already done this? Did it work? was it beneficial financially?

If we got a car for £200 each, and saved 6000 miles in the year, surely we would get back more than £200 for a car with 6000 less mile...if that makes sense.
deano87

12th Sep 08 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My advice would be to go for a car with a pretty small engine, even smaller than 1.4.

1.2 8v Corsa's return bad mpg, 12v's are a lot better.

I only hark on about mpg because that is the thing which will seem like the car is costing, because you're paying out for it every week.

Another thing to consider is car insurance, because any NCB aren't likely to carry on to this policy - whose name will it be in? Who will pay etc?
_Allan_

12th Sep 08 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be bothered as it saves your own cars mileage, petrol etc... For £200 each I'm sure you'd gain that back in no time.

Donkey Car ftw!
nova_gteuk

12th Sep 08 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Peugeot 306 TD and run it on biodiesel is what you want.

Only downfall i can see is what if you want the car but he needs it to.
Fonz
Premium Member

12th Sep 08 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they both have Clios if its "urgent" use their own car. if it is only used for work then shouldnt be a problem

seems to make sence to me although as mentioned insurance and legal keeper/owner would have to be agreed
FruitBooTeR

12th Sep 08 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im planning to get a run arround when I get my car back but purely for the fact petrol will cost too much!

But also it preserves the car so to speek, if its not used everyday hopefully it should keep its health
Brabus

12th Sep 08 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the prompt and positive responses guys. Diesel is preferable as already pointed out this will be the only cost(hopefully). Considering we each put £30 a week in our cars thats £60 a week, we are hoping to get away with £15 fuel money each, per week so £30 in total, making a saving of £120 per month on fuel alone between us.

Only issue now in insurance, deciding who the legal ower will be wont be a problem, we will flip a coin
_Allan_

12th Sep 08 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just obviously pick who has the cheapest premium and add the other as a named driver. Split the difference.
Ian W

12th Sep 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a runaround last month to save my some money while I get my own place sorted.

I was sticking over £70 a week in fuel in my S3 just to get to and from work plus having to keep it serviced as I was doing around 1300 miles a month.

Running a 106GTi now, £40 a week fuel and i'll service it myself.

Looking forward to when I can drive my S3 again but i'm not going to go back to using it to commute, only problem I can see with keeping the pug and the S3 is there both high to insure so I may have to swap the pug for a diesel
stubbsy05

12th Sep 08 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a VW Vento 1.9 TDI (Golf mk3 with boot but seem to be cheaper!)

I paid £300 for it and do 25k a year in it. Now in my second year of ownership and all its needed are tyres, brake pads, and fuel filter.

I run it 50/50 on used veg oil too.

Theres a VW vento on autotrader at the mo for about £800, N reg, 1 owner from new and 72k on clock!
Brabus

12th Sep 08 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously you run it on Veg oil, is this common?
stubbsy05

12th Sep 08 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the Mk3 TDI AHU engine you can put used veg oil in the tank as you would diesel.
Best to go 50/50 with diesel though as you'll clog the fuel filter like I did.
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Sep 08 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Add up the true cost. The clown car will need insuring - probably without NCB, you'll also have maintenance to do same as any car.

Plus your main car will still be depreciating even though you're not putting the miles on it.

It's not quite the ticket to cheap travel as you might hope but it's certainly worth exploring. If you find a car with tax and ticket and you can cover it fairly cheaply then it's worth a go.
little_duke

12th Sep 08 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my corsa diesel was a winner on fuel
Brabus

12th Sep 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Add up the true cost. The clown car will need insuring - probably without NCB, you'll also have maintenance to do same as any car.

Plus your main car will still be depreciating even though you're not putting the miles on it.

It's not quite the ticket to cheap travel as you might hope but it's certainly worth exploring. If you find a car with tax and ticket and you can cover it fairly cheaply then it's worth a go.

I think the whole insurance senario is going to make this excersie worthless financially. I have a previous conviction on my insurance so its likely to be cheaper on my friends, but then he has 6points. Plus with not being able to transfer over no claims, even on a group 3 i can see it coming out at over £500-600.
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Sep 08 at 13:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phone and find out but that isn't looking hopeful.

I'm not in a bad position now because I've been running a few cars for a few years, but initially it was daft money, same as any new insurance really.
Graham88

12th Sep 08 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Which is the reason I decided to be sensible and get a boring all round car for work and weekends. Shame as I could easily afford a nice quick car but commuting 70+ miles a day means it's not ideal. Never mind.

I would be happy if I was doing 30 miles round trip, but I understand why you don't want to put the mileage on your car.

I just use my car for whatever, if I was worried about how much money I'd lose by it being high mileage it'd be pointless owning the car as that's what it's for. My 2 pence

[Edited on 12-09-2008 by Graham88]
deano87

12th Sep 08 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either of your current insurers may honour your NCB on another car, but not actually give you NCB on that policy, so in a year, you'll have 1 NCB on that policy but still quite cheap.

Is it 30miles per day, or 60miles per day you're doing? If so, a small engined petrol may be cheaper to fill up
Brabus

12th Sep 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its only a 30 mile round trip and i wouldnt mind if it only saved me £10 a month by having a runaround as long as it didnt clock up the miles on my new car, as the low milage convinced me to buy, im sure it will do the same for the next owner. Plus ill look forward to the weekends more
Ian W

12th Sep 08 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brabus
Its only a 30 mile round trip and i wouldnt mind if it only saved me £10 a month by having a runaround as long as it didnt clock up the miles on my new car, as the low milage convinced me to buy, im sure it will do the same for the next owner. Plus ill look forward to the weekends more

Its a bit of a vicious circle really, if you do alot of miles then you want a nice car to do it in but then you end up de-valuing it loads by putting miles on it (although im a firm believer that mileage is of little matter on new-ish cars now)

If your only doing 30 miles a day then just drive it, thats not much really.
Brabus

12th Sep 08 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point, it is a valid arguement to say if you've got a car just drive it. Just cant help thinking im doing 10% of the mileage the previous owner has done in 3 years, every month

[Edited on 12-09-2008 by Brabus]
Fad

12th Sep 08 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you had something like an M3/Porshe/Classic you could warant a run around for a 30 mile round journey.

Having one for the sake of a hot harch does not make sense as they are fast depreciating cars and at the end of the day whio are you passing the benefit onto? The next owner.

Buy a decent diesel or just live with the Cliosport. My commute to work is 30 mies each way and drive mine and that doesnt include the site visits I do also I've done 22k in 9 months in mine and I have enjoyed every mile....the reason why webuy these cars!

I have had to admit defeat though due to putting in anything from 80-120 a week into it! Just got to buy a diesel and save up for something to warrant a runaround

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO people with 'runarounds'... 23 database queries in 0.0154660 seconds