corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » General advice

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author General advice
swill_omnibus

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 08 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

At the moment the way my car seems to be going is abit of looks/ICE/Performance orientated, not wanting to go "All out" in any particular but want it to be pretty respectable in all.

So engine wise, i want the car to shift (of course) as it's a "Corsa" but am strung up between tuning a fair bit on an X16XE or redtop & TB's to be honest.

As not wanting massive power but enough to make a difference in how quick it is for a corsa, and pretty bits to make engine bay lok nice the sametime.

Any advice?
FruitBooTeR

22nd Sep 08 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on budget really mate thats all it comes down too.

You can throw a vast amount of money at an x16xe and achieve around 150-200bhp but for much less you can fit a redtop, and if you have the funds you could TB the redtop which imo would be better...

Theres also fitting a LET..
swill_omnibus

22nd Sep 08 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I considered a LET which i would like, but after taking some advice from CS members, if a LET was to blow, the whole thing would be gone, but if a C20XE TB'd i could just take the TB's off!

Isn't really an option as could save pretty sharpish like to get it all done in 1 like, just deciding in the long run which would be more impressive, an X16XE kicking 150ish or a redtop in general! lol
FruitBooTeR

22nd Sep 08 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you planning on using the car for aswell?

Track days - id say x16xe

Strip action - C20XE & TB's

It would be much much easier to achieve 200bhp+ in a c20xe, thats if your bothered about pub talk figures like me

[Edited on 22-09-2008 by FruitBooTeR]
swill_omnibus

22nd Sep 08 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well just want something that'll be pokey for a Corsa B.

Wouldn't mind doin the odd 1/4mile etc and have stripped the rear end of the car (not finished yet) so think id rather a redtop as the car will be quicker out of the package and already got coilover and 2LT discs etc there so.

Think i'll go for a redtop. But how easy/cheap is the 1.8? Whats tuning like cause i heard the Corsa C 1.8 is chain driven?
luke85

22nd Sep 08 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive gone full circle with all this, Started off at 17 with a corsa sport, wrote it off, got another 1.4 sport, tuned it to 130BHP from the 1.4, at 19 put a LET in, wrote that off, bought a gsi and put the let in that last year (im now 23)

Now Im fancying a sport again for saving money, you can burn a huge amout of fuel very quicly in a tuned LET, this of course may not bother you if your not trying to save or wont be doing 50 miles a day to work and back.

Then theres driving on the motorway, its not as easy to drive the LET long distances on the motorway IMO, your constantly fighting the turbo trying to spool and a NA is not as tiring to drive, this of course is my opinion.

A tuned LET will get through a turbo after about 4 years so factor that into your budget if your keeping it a while and then theres the possibility of something going wrong and melting something, LETs arent as cheap to replace as a 1.6

They are the things I think you should consider when choosing what to do, never had an 20XE myself so cant comment on that but would guess its somewhere in the middle.

For performance there is hardly anything on the road our likely to meet that will compare to a tuned corsa LET, maybe someone on here can take you for a drive to see what you think?

Theyre great fun but I must be getting old and thinking about saving a deposit for a house after the prices have crashed
swill_omnibus

22nd Sep 08 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's my thoughts about the LET, i would like to have one, but sametime it's not as cheap conversion as the C20XE and theres more involved too.

Would love to go as a passenger in a LET corsa though, see what it's like!

But i think personally at this point in time a LET isn't viable.

Cheers so far guys, think i'll stick to the 20XE now

New Poll