corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Using bankers drafts to pay for cars

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using bankers drafts to pay for cars
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Sep 08 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What information will you need from the seller to do one. Also are they garenteed? i.e could I pick up a car on a sunday when banks arnt open?
Anyone done one recently and know a rough price?

Bloody bank doesnt stay open long enough to go after work

Cheers

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
deano87

24th Sep 08 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generally a bankers draft is more secure than a cheque, because it can only be issued if you have the funds in your account, as far as I'm aware.

It's totally down to the seller at the end of the day. If you know you are genuine and the seller gives you the car, then there isn't a problem.

I know you can phone and certify bankers drafts, however not sure if you can at the weekend
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Sep 08 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer I was wondering if the 24hour bank line thing can clarify the reference. Might just have to take time off on a week day to sort stuff.

Joe

24th Sep 08 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its supposed to be guaranteed money, but as with anything these days there will be ways around it.

I bought my car on a bankers draft, £13k with no problems but thats because I'm not a thieving scumbag.
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Sep 08 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you trying to say

Only problems I have is that the car I have my sights on is 100 miles away

deano87

24th Sep 08 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only joking

If the seller is willing to accept a bankers draft and let you drive away, I don't see the problem.

Take your dad or something with you. You're a nice enough chap Gav, and speak proper English like.
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Sep 08 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87

Only joking

If the seller is willing to accept a bankers draft and let you drive away, I don't see the problem.

Take your dad or something with you. You're a nice enough chap Gav, and speak proper English like.

Dads on holiday. Mum = massive fail when it comes to cars

Was going to take fad

deano87

24th Sep 08 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who cares if your mum is a massive fail. They'll think you're genuine if you had to get your mum to drive you 100 miles
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Sep 08 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum is a sunday driver though, wont go above 60 and doesnt ever leave a 20 mile radius of the house

If I buy the car and she has to come back on her own I will never see her again

Joe

24th Sep 08 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
What you trying to say

Only problems I have is that the car I have my sights on is 100 miles away

Didn't mean it like that

When we handed it over, I showed them my drivers license, my dads, gave them home address, home number, business number. Loads of contact details. Obviously its up to them if they trust you.
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Sep 08 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer. Well the current way this is going I am having trouble trusting the seller more then myself

Think going on a week day when we can both go to the bank to pay it in is best

Anyone know how much they cost to do and what info you need from the person your making it out to?

ainsley_brader

24th Sep 08 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just need a name like a cheque and last one i had cost me a tenner but thats quite a while ago now! It was also for a car but i had it made out to the finance company and then gave it to the owner to pass on!
deano87

24th Sep 08 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I know is they used to cost my dad about £15 for the privilege and you have to wait 1 day, I think.
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Sep 08 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right cheers

John

24th Sep 08 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guy that bought my fabia flew up on a sunday with a bankers draft and I wasn't too happy because the banks were shut.

He got the draft on the friday and I phoned the bank to confirm it had been issued.

As long as the draft has been issued the only person that can cancel it is the person it's written out to.
Fad

24th Sep 08 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My banks charged me £10 to draw up a bankers draft. As soon as it is drawn up it will clear your bank account.

Also who do you bank with? Bankers drafts are often marked with some kind of holagram (except Halifax ones) and there is often a phone number on the reverse so the person you issue it to can ring up to verify if it is a genuine bankers draft.

If you hand over the draft you should be able to drive away that day as it prolly wont clear into their account untill the next few days.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Using bankers drafts to pay for cars 24 database queries in 0.0113640 seconds