corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Xbox360 DVD Drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Xbox360 DVD Drive
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Oct 08 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone ever had to replace one of these before? Mine stopped working at the weekend, when I put a disk in (any disk) the drive makes a horrible grinding sound then either spits it out or just says "unreadable disk" on screen.

The xbox works fine otherwise when on the dashboard or using HDD content.

I looked on ebay and I can get a spare drive for around £20-£30 but apparently you need to hook them up to a PC and play around with firmware flashing n' stuff to get it to work.

Xbox's are only £130 now so tempted to just cut my losses, but if this is a fairly pain-free process then I might give it a go.

....or get an elite to make use of my HDMI port on ze telly

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it it's out of warranty?

360 premiums come with HDMI ports.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just seen the below:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/659411/Xbox-360-Premium-Console/Product.html

I've got a premium now and it doesn't have HDMI, was it only premiums after a certain date?

Gonna order this now I think - fucking bargain for £90!

No more warrenty aye

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I've got a premium now and it doesn't have HDMI, was it only premiums after a certain date?

Yeah. I should've known your warranty would've been up with you saying that.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read a wiki page about it, after July 07 the premiums were shipped with the same MoBo as the elite and improved cooling, and ofc the HDMI port.

Awesome, cheers brett - you just saved me spending £200 on an elite

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs. Don't forget, your broken one still has resale value too. Get it on ebay today
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
No probs. Don't forget, your broken one still has resale value too. Get it on ebay today

Yeah I was thinking, since my HDD is fine I could ebay the new HDD and control pad and make back some of the £90 from those

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, pretty sure you'd get at least £40 for the broken console minus bits like HDD too. Would probs only cost you £30 for a new console in reality. Cheap on play.com
_Allan_

13th Oct 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my m8's broke he spent ages looking around the forums and found the weirdest solution for the problem similar to this.

He had issues with unreadable dics, grinding then the drawer keeps opening.

If it's in warranty then don't go any further but if you open up the xbox case and remove the DVD drive. Open up the DVD drive and my m8 found a little metal washer stuck to the roof of the DVD drive case. This is not secured down my Microsoft and it's some sort of counter weight for the drawer tray. Over time it had become magnetised and lifted off the tray and stuck to the metal case roof. My m8 simply super glued it down back in place and low and behold no more issues. I'm not sure if the metal disc is a weight, helps focus the laser through the center or keeps the disc from skipping but it certainly worked for him.

Edit: More info:

http://www.360mods.net/Forums/viewtopic/t=1134/postdays=0/postorder=asc/highlight=stealth+check+cheque/start=0.html

[Edited on 13-10-2008 by _Allan_]
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh cheers for that Allan.

I've decided on getting a new premium with HDMI anyway but I'll certainly try fixing my old one for added resale value!

Thanks

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
22B

13th Oct 08 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I remember the DVD drive is coded to the motherboard with a unique serial key, so you will be unable to just change the DVD drive.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 22B
As far as I remember the DVD drive is coded to the motherboard with a unique serial key, so you will be unable to just change the DVD drive.

That's why the firmware needs flashing

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck

Price has now changed to £140.00 on play just as I was about to order it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
22B

13th Oct 08 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 22B

That's why the firmware needs flashing

Yer I have flashed firmware on my drive but I am sure it does not matter about being flashed as the drive is still matched to the motherboard whether its flashed or not, not sure if thats right but Im sure Ive read it somewhere.

Ive got to send mine off to microsoft for repair, mine works fine for 15-30 mins then gets the red light and crashes. I havent touched it for months but last time I did it worked for 20 mins and died again, its one of the newer ones with HDMI, the drive itself seems quite poor, struggled to read a lot of my older games and some games like GTA 4 had real bad texture loading.

My first xbox I swapped with my current one as its got HDMI and that had a toshiba drive in and was faultless, but then again I never played for more than an hour at a time and rarely used it, same with the one I have now.

Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I bought a cheap core console off of ebay, could I plug in my HDD and use my wireless pads?

Some of the cores come with an HDMI socket too and this would surely be the cheapest way of solving this assuming I can't bodge fix the DVD Drive myself.

What are the actual differences between core and premium other than the HDD and wireless pads?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
stubbsy05

13th Oct 08 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get the arcades at sainburys for £100 and at bargain crazy for £120
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's why I'm tempted to pick up an arcade post July 07, but other than HDD/Wireless pads are there ANY other differences?

And can I use my pads/HDD on an arcade if I bought one?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
22B

13th Oct 08 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's why I'm tempted to pick up an arcade post July 07, but other than HDD/Wireless pads are there ANY other differences?

And can I use my pads/HDD on an arcade if I bought one?

yep you can use pads and your hard drive

the differences are the sizes of hard drive, arcade - 256mb memory stick, core 20GB, premium 60Gb and elite 120GB

[Edited on 13-10-2008 by 22B]
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Oct 08 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've ended up buying a new premium console off of eBay with the HDMI socket.

Cost me £110 inc postage so not too bad, and I get a refreshed MS warrenty with it.

I'll certainly have a go at fixing my current one though and selling it back onto eBay.

Cheers for the posts guys, hopefully this fucking thing will last at least till' the next xbox is released

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll