corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Ford Focus problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ford Focus problems
Planty02

User status: Offline
19th Oct 08 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this is a corsa forum but i thought some on here may have experience of fords or may have some idea what is wrong....

....I've had the car about 2 months now and have noticed that when it's first started up there is a belt squeeling until the engine warms up, and for the last few days the battery light on the dash has been coming on from time to time. Once its on, it stays on until the engine stops BUT if I start the engine again straight away its stays off

I assume the alternator belt needs some attention but clarification would be great here

...Also thought it may be worth mentioning that I am running a Sub and amp (just in case this could be linked to the power issue. I have tried switching it off but the problem still happens so I guess its not that)

Bloody Ford Miss the corsa already

EDIT: It's a 1.8 TDCI if that makes any difference

[Edited on 19-10-2008 by Planty02]
Mark B

19th Oct 08 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like u need to tighten or replace your fan belft
deano87

19th Oct 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The squeel is normally the auxillary belt so yeah and the battery light is the alternator light. I guess it just needs tightening in order to drive the alternator better and stop the light coming on?
Planty02

19th Oct 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I was thinking too guys...only had a quick look but cant see the alternator belt very clearly so unless it can be easily accessed from underneath its going to be a pain in hte arse
deano87

19th Oct 08 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably more simple than you think. What you look at as the 'cambelt' might be the fan belt certainly is on my 12v consider it's chain driven.

You know what Ford stands for don't you?!
Bonney

19th Oct 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 19-10-2008 by Bonney66]
Planty02

19th Oct 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I certainly do If bits needs replacing then I'll look into the warrenty it came with, although I dont think belts are covered

Ill locate the alternator and go from there, only problem is everything under the bonnet is hidden away by plastic covers ...im sure Ford are trying to hide something
Planty02

19th Oct 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bonney
Bonney

19th Oct 08 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep telling my dad that with his focus, its an 04 plate and theyve had it since new, but it keeps prooving me wrong and it never breaks. The only problem was my mum hitting a pothole and snapping a suspension coil
Planty02

19th Oct 08 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all fairness mine's on 91k so some maintaince is to be expected It's not really a bad motor and the engine itself seems very well for the milage, pulls well etc
Richardhhha

19th Oct 08 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok 1.8 tdci it has been used for years in quite a few varients, running a sub would put extra wear on the alternator as the extra amp draw would cause the alternator to have to work harder.. Best bet, get a torch and shine it on the ribed side of the belt and see if its cracked.. They are auto tensioned but they do crack fairly early in there life! If the car is a older mk 1 or 2 they will be auto tensioned if its a mk 3 then they are done by stretchy belts a bastard intention.. Hopefully its the older style.. Oh and if you have put a sub in it.. Have fun with anything to do with a electrical warrenty they wont like you much.. Change the belt it's a piece of pis takes 5 minuits, but if it isn't that it could be the smart charge is fryed which is controlled by the ecu or the alternator is shot at.. Hope that helps
Planty02

19th Oct 08 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for that mate. Its a 53 Reg so I think its a mark 2, can't be sure though

when I say warrenty I'm only talking about the 3 month one from the garage, if they tell me to F*** off I'm not really too fussed, as I mentioned I dont think the belts are covered.

I'll have a look at the belt and see how it goes

Cheers

New Poll