corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » xe corsa's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xe corsa's
lil_hobbo

User status: Offline
10th Nov 08 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thinking about buying one i have the money but waiting till after i sell mine so i can buy i nice one.. what price range should i be looking at? and what should i be looking out for? and where has everone else gone for insurance on them thanks olly

[Edited on 10-11-2008 by lil_hobbo]
johnhara1

10th Nov 08 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1500 - £2000 for a decent one.

1st off, make sure EML works with the ignition. Some people will disable the light to try and hide faults!

Ideally you want to hear the engine run from cold. Id expect tappets to be noisy though as this is common on the XE.

Take it for a good drive and get the revs up, get someone to follow you and watch for blue smoke. You dont put an XE in a corsa to be driven slowly so chances are the engines has been thrashed so it's important to check its been looked after, regular oil changes etc so any paperwork\reciepts for work donw are good to have.

Listen for any knocks from the block, get down near the sump lol you'll prob notice a leaking sump gasket which is the norm on the XE.

Your engine should sit nice and straight too like mine in the picture.

Also check the gears go in ok while in high revs, if they grind\nip then the synchro is prob warn from ramming into gear at the rev limiter. 3rd gear was the culprit on mine.

Check to make sure the head isnt porous, idealy you want it to be coscast but there will be a greasy\oily substance in the header tank and water pipes if it is.

If you havnt driven an XE before, you should expect it to pull aggresively from 4k revs all the way upto 6800rpm.

Apart from that just the usual car checks.

Insurance try Adrian Flux, ask for red department. It was £1330 for me @ 20 with 1yrs NCB on this:

[Edited on 10-11-2008 by johnhara1]
Jenko_Sport

10th Nov 08 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want another one, i miss my shitter xe lol.
Whittie

10th Nov 08 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Nov 08 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check that the mounts arent fucked, the engine should be rather sturdy and not rock back and forth

check what conversion parts were used, was it his mates jim bodge mounts or proper ones from mtech, LMF, etc

brakes - if these havent be upgraded to 2ltr items then it should reflect in the price

suspension - if these havent been upgraded to a better spec (not just the springs) then it should reflect in the price

exhaust system - a 2.25" bore system will do the trick, if its the standard exhaust from the previous engine then it should reflect it in the price

usual things like b pillars, chasis rails rotting etc which are all MOT fails.
Corsa_Sport21

10th Nov 08 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
check what conversion parts were used, was it his mates jim bodge mounts or proper ones from mtech, LMF, etc

This is something that always puzzles me when people mention these "proper mounts".Surely "proper mounts" would be 1s that are available from Vauxhall when they released the corsa with a C20XE???

Mounts that arent bought from big name companys are just as good if the person who made them knows what they are doing.

Hell my XE corsa has welded shafts and these so called "jim bodge" mounts(front engine mount) and ive never had 1 single problem.Even my P/S bracket is a "jim bodge" mount and its held up to the job.My mate who has done a lot of XE/LET/V6 conversions makes his own mounts and shafts and not a single part has ever failed.

As for the exhaust,a 2" bore on a standard XE will be fine.2.25" would be a bonus.

[Edited on 10-11-2008 by Corsa_Sport21]
J8YJJ

10th Nov 08 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates just brought one , its a blue one w reg and he gave £2000 for it looks in good condtion got vxr seats in it aswell lol

the engine was fitted by the guys mate and all brakes and suspension have been upgraded

[Edited on 10-11-2008 by JAYCORSAGSI]

[Edited on 10-11-2008 by JAYCORSAGSI]
Ben-B

10th Nov 08 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@Corsa sport

The corsa never came with a XE as standard so mounts are all after market

what i think willay means by proper mounts are proper mounts from a respectable tunning company not home made ones from the guys shed
Corsa_Sport21

10th Nov 08 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Br.ANDO
@Corsa sport

The corsa never came with a XE as standard so mounts are all after market

what i think willay means by proper mounts are proper mounts from a respectable tunning company not home made ones from the guys shed

Yeah i know they never came fitted from factory,maybe thot whoever read it could read between the lines and see what i was getting at.

Theres no such thing as proper mounts,thats my point.

Wheather they were made in a workshop or a shed or whatever,if they do the job,then i dont see the problem.

Why pay over the odds for something that can be had cheaper,thats just as good??
XE luke

10th Nov 08 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also dont believe what the owner tells you unless he/she has the paperwork to prove as they all end up sayin "ye mate it ad a full rebuild 2k ago it runs mint its got 200 bhp nearly it beats scoobys"

they talk wet and as said try to hear it from cold as you will hear so many clicks,taps and clunks from cold if its a shitter

good luck finding one cos if ya can get a good un theyre a bloody good laugh !!! lol
Ben-B

10th Nov 08 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because, usually, higher priced parts are higher quality id guess?

but this is going off topic so anyway..
Eck
Premium Member

10th Nov 08 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport

Corsa_Sport21

10th Nov 08 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Br.ANDO
because, usually, higher priced parts are higher quality id guess?

but this is going off topic so anyway..

Not really,your still using the standard rubber mount,just its mated up to a few bits of sheet metal thats been welded 2gether to make a frame.
Eck
Premium Member

10th Nov 08 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus, how much will you actually be spending of your own cash? What I mean is... Will you be selling your car and adding a certain amount to that? Depending on how much you have, why not keep your car and get it converted by Beardy or similar? That way you know who's done it and that it'll be a good'un!
lil_hobbo

10th Nov 08 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cuz i need the money for that aswell to buy the a xe lol well and pay off other things on that note does anyone wont to buy a toolbox mint cond ford bp racing team u2u me
XSIHardy

10th Nov 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

beardy can supply, and fit for around 1500
alan-g-w

10th Nov 08 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's a multi-V alternator belt make sure that it doesn't rub on the inner wing when turning left sharply

And that the PAS pump/bracket is lined up properly, or else the bottom pulley may be torn apart

Both things happened to me on the way up from (Manchester to Glasgow) getting mine. Stopping every half hour to charge the battery? Why not...

Basically be prepared for a good amount of fuck ups - just little things that can be sorted (relatively) easily, but when they're running right you can't stop grinning! Helps to have a little know-how about cars if you're getting one as well.

[Edited on 10-11-2008 by alan-g-w]
sicharnock

10th Nov 08 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i actually carnt wait to get mine done.
my finacial situation has set it bk to jan/feb next year now, garrhhh

hope you find a good one mate.
lil_hobbo

10th Nov 08 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might have to save up and get a conversion, least i know my car aint bent
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Nov 08 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:

This is something that always puzzles me when people mention these "proper mounts".Surely "proper mounts" would be 1s that are available from Vauxhall when they released the corsa with a C20XE???

Mounts that arent bought from big name companys are just as good if the person who made them knows what they are doing.

Hell my XE corsa has welded shafts and these so called "jim bodge" mounts(front engine mount) and ive never had 1 single problem.Even my P/S bracket is a "jim bodge" mount and its held up to the job.My mate who has done a lot of XE/LET/V6 conversions makes his own mounts and shafts and not a single part has ever failed.

Thats good for you and your mate, yeah I'm aware that some DIY mounts can be good as the ones you can purchase off companies but some arent, and you need to be wary of this. LM = Lee Mitchell who made my mounts and I believe they were of the highest quality and cheap to boot. 2 out of 3 of the mounts on my C20LET Corsa C are custom too so you dont need to lecture me on mounts.
XE luke

10th Nov 08 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
If it's a multi-V alternator belt make sure that it doesn't rub on the inner wing when turning left sharply

And that the PAS pump/bracket is lined up properly, or else the bottom pulley may be torn apart

thats crazy
mine used to make a slight grind noise when turning left...presumable this was the alternator belt as alan said but at the time i didnt know

also when i took it for top end rebuild it was in the garage for ages... they found loads more problems one being the bottom pulley had had it, the previous owner had tried to fix it in place with screws lol
guessing this was a dodly PAS bracket

seems mine was more of a shitter than i thought lol
lil_hobbo

10th Nov 08 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what insurance companies should i try?
Corsa_Sport21

10th Nov 08 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:

Thats good for you and your mate, yeah I'm aware that some DIY mounts can be good as the ones you can purchase off companies but some arent, and you need to be wary of this. LM = Lee Mitchell who made my mounts and I believe they were of the highest quality and cheap to boot. 2 out of 3 of the mounts on my C20LET Corsa C are custom too so you dont need to lecture me on mounts.

Im not lecturing you at all bud,im just saying these proper mounts that you and others rave on about,dont exist.

However i have to agree on the quality of some of the mounts ive seen,the engines have sat on the piss.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » xe corsa's 23 database queries in 0.0170789 seconds