corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » FA in inconsistency non-shocker

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FA in inconsistency non-shocker
Nath

User status: Offline
1st Dec 08 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luton Town Football Club has sought an explanation from The Football Association to clarify the situation regarding players under 16 being fielded in the FA Cup.

Prior to the first round proper tie between The Hatters and Altrincham, manager Mick Harford wanted to name young starlet Jean-Philip Yamfam in his squad. Yamfam, a product of Luton's youth Centre of Excellence, was under 16 on the day of the match. Consequently, club secretary, Cherry Newbery, obtained advice from the Head of Competitions at the FA who informed her that Yamfam would not be able to compete.

However, on Saturday, Southend fielded a Femi Orenuja at the age of 15 and it has been subsequently revealed by the FA that Southend received approval from the FA on Friday.

Hatters managing director, Gary Sweet said, "Firstly, I'd like to wish Southend luck in their 3rd round tie at Stamford Bridge. They were the better team on Saturday and fully deserve such a great draw. However, we can't understand why we have been disadvantaged by not being able to play our youngster while Southend could play theirs when both clubs sought the same advice from the FA."

Cherry Newbery, club secretary explained her actions in detail, "Prior to the first round proper of the FA Cup v Altrincham on 8th November I realised Jean-Philip was under 16 so I checked the rules of the FA and Rule C section (4) where it states:

'To play in an open age competition a player must have achieved the age of 16 (to come into effect from the 2007-2008 season).'

Cherry continued, "Having not encountered this clause before in this competition, and to ensure that we conformed to the regulations, I telephoned Steve Clark, Competitions Manager of The FA in the presence of another member of staff to check on this regulation and he confirmed to me that a player had to be 16 years of age to play in the FA Cup. I photocopied the page (109) from the handbook, advised my directors and the manager and gave them a copy of the regulation."

Wishing to comply with FA regulations, Mick Harford was forced to omit Yamfam and was unable to fulfil his allocation of substitutes for this first round match.

At the earliest opportunity, Cherry Newbery telephoned Steve Clark to clarify why Orenuja had been given permission yet Yamfam hadn't. Mr Clark said he did not recall the conversation but confirmed that his assistant had given Southend approval for Orenuja to play.

The rulebook was changed last year and states that a player must be 16 years of age to play in the FA Cup, which differs from Football League competitions, but permission may be granted if the player is registered in the FA's 'Programme for Excellence', the framework upon which the Hatters' Centre of Excellence youth development programme is based.

Gary Sweet concluded, "Our dissatisfaction is not with Southend, who acted in the same way as us - it is with the FA as this rule clearly demands further clarification. But the most disappointing element in this saga is how the governing body of football can give two clubs requiring the same advice, two different responses resulting in Luton Town being disadvantaged in this season's FA Cup competition."

Luton Town have written directly to the FA regarding this matter and the FA have confirmed a response will be provided within 48 hours.

Not a massive gripe, but WTF are the FA playing at?! Bunch of wankers.
Danny P

1st Dec 08 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yamfam

Great name
Hammer

1st Dec 08 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beat me to it

They probably didn't want him stealing the best name award from Papa Bouba Diop
Nath

1st Dec 08 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets hope he breaks through into the first team. Name on my shirt
Robbo

1st Dec 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luke Freeman played for Gillingham in The FA Cup @ 15 prior to signing for us
adz_gsi

2nd Dec 08 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its like my league leeds combination league if u under 16 cant play and tht was last year too #
nik

2nd Dec 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The FA is appalling, bunch of jokers from grass roots right upto the pro game.
Nath

24th Dec 08 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get this from the FA

Town managing director Gary Sweet said: "I've had an answer from the FA and spoken to them. Disappointingly they claim they never received a phonecall from Luton asking permission for Jean-Philip Yamfam to play and if they had they say they would have given him permission like they did Southend.

WANKERS!!!!! Fuck the FA. I hope we get to Wembley so we can cause a riot.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » FA in inconsistency non-shocker 24 database queries in 0.0055702 seconds