corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car pulling to the left - tracking perfect though. . .

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car pulling to the left - tracking perfect though. . .
deano87

User status: Offline
8th Jan 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, here is the scenario.

I needed 2 new front tyres. The garage advised putting the older rears on the front (which didn't need replacing) and the 2 new ones on the rear. I agreed, they were all re-balanced and the tracking was done. They said the CV boot was split, so I had this done with the 10k mile interval service. They then said bring it back and they'll do the tracking for free, which they did.

Since then the car has been pulling to the left considerably. So much so after overtaking on the motorway, I just let go of the steering wheel and it pulls into the slower lane on its own. As a result the older tyres and starting to scrub out.

They re-did the tracking as I wasn't happy, they said it was out by 1mm, but nothing really to worry about. It is still pulling to the left.

They mentioned something about a 'radial pull' on the older tyres which are on the front. So swapping the tyres from side to side could either 1) rectify 2) make no difference 3) make it worse.

What I want to know, if it does make no difference, what else could be making it pull to the left? What about bushes and suspension arms, and that sort of thing?! I've just had it serviced/checked, so would presume this isn't the problem.

Any advice would be great!

pow
Premium Member

8th Jan 09 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was silly pulling to the left when I had the bent track rod.

First thing to do is to try swapping the rears and the fronts over and seeing if it wheels/tyres are at fault or it's a component on the car.
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh yes, putting the new ones onto the front might help I've only ever hit the kerb once, which wasn't that hard, so I can't see it being that. . .never know though!
N3CRO

8th Jan 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You seem to have nowt but probs with your car.
pow
Premium Member

8th Jan 09 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't take much Mr. Deano.

Swap the tyres front to back though, on the same side (OSF to OSR, NSF to NSR etc etc) and report back.
pow
Premium Member

8th Jan 09 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He does invent the odd few, but, I agree that pulling to the left is the most annoying thing IN THE WORLD
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is fine and gives me hardly any trouble. Just niggly little things. It's a Corsa doing nearly 15k miles per year, things will go wrong

pow - I'll change the front to back. If it still persists, needs looking at properly. If it fixes the problem. Old tyres needs swapping left to right.
pow
Premium Member

8th Jan 09 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was running fine on the front wheels beforehand, then rule out the problem with dodgy rear wheels (if you have a slightly dodgy wheel, you want it to be on the back where it doesnt matter as much).
N3CRO

8th Jan 09 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine seems to be fine too most of the time, its only really at MOT time it costs me money.
I've done less than 10,000 miles in the last 2 years so its still really low milage for its age too
John

8th Jan 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope this isn't the same bosch garage deano, they never do anything right.
pow
Premium Member

8th Jan 09 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Umm, I changed my "friendly" family mechcanic the second he dropped both my front wheels face down.
Limecat
Banned

8th Jan 09 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
What I want to know, if it does make no difference, what else could be making it pull to the left?

Road camber, drains are on the left so you get a slight bias to that side on the road surface typically speaking.

You say you changed tyres from front to rear, are they level side to side for wear and have you checked the pressures?
steddy-eddie

8th Jan 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be a buckled wheel or tyre not balanced correctly
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Road camber, drains are on the left so you get a slight bias to that side on the road surface typically speaking.

You say you changed tyres from front to rear, are they level side to side for wear and have you checked the pressures?

Definitely not road camber. It does it on every single road, the same amount.

I put the brand new tyres on the rear, and older tyres which were on the rear, to the front. They haven't been swapped side to side. Tyre pressures are spot on. The tyres have slightly different wear each side.

I'll get the fronts put on the back and visa-versa first, and see what happens.
deano87

9th Jan 09 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just dropped it off. Will see what they say
deano87

9th Jan 09 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stapletons just phoned. Apparently rear axle is bent. So this will cause a pull.

They swapped left to right, which didn't rectify the problem. So put the new tyres on the front and it is a lot better.

Weird.
pow
Premium Member

9th Jan 09 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave it like that then
deano87

9th Jan 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to, don't worry.
pow
Premium Member

9th Jan 09 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't like the whole "new tyres on the rear" shit, prefer my better set of tyres n the front, they do most of the work?!?
deano87

9th Jan 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The argument is though the front as more grip, so in a front wheel drive car with new tyres on the front, olds on the rear, you feel like you have loads of grip. But on the rear you don't so there is potential for the rear to slip out.

This isn't Stapletons saying this, its Michelin!

New Poll