corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » winter season

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author winter season
scaron5188
Organiser: South West
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   13th Jan 09 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jus thought i post a thread up to ask people whether they have done a winter season in the alps (or any other ski resort) and whether it was worth it.

reason is i have been snowboarding for 3 years now and cant get enough of it, jus came off holiday from tignes and really bummed to be back, and one holiday a year and trips to snowdome jus isnt satisfying anymore,

so me and my girlfriend are thinking a bout doin a 4 mayb 6 month season in oct/november time? to either "espace killy" tignes/val d'isere or maybe the three valleys, val thorens n that!?

what u think? i think it would be worth it really!

Aaron
scaron5188
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm, know one done one then :S lol
Carl

14th Jan 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know a few people who have done it, hard to get a job, one guy is a ski instructor, obviously its shit hot if you get that as a job, another girl was a chamber maid, shit job but had to be done type thing.

If there is nothing stopping you, give it a crack while you can. I did a season in Ibiza and had an amazing time, you have to think, what is the worst that can happen? Ie you come home having given it a shot.
Aaron

14th Jan 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great name by the way

I'm off to the Alps in 9 days for a hol. Would love to do a season as an instructor once i've finished my Degree. I'll probably jack my full time job in

[Edited on 14-01-2009 by Aaron]
scaron5188
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep i no this
yea i'd love to do that but dunno if i could put up with teachin, was hard enough teachin my misses lol but defo think im gunna go do a season this year or next year

where in the alps u going? do u board or ski?
Tiger

14th Jan 09 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cervinia in 2ish weeks. 20cms of fresh pow and 2.9M up top woohoo!
scaron5188
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheres that to do dude? we had to dumps while we were away, but 3 out o6 days of white out was so bummed. but cant argue with the last day, fresh pow and sun
Fro

14th Jan 09 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate of mine went snowboarding in whistler for 3 months a couple years ago, he said it was fantastic
RichR
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my sister is working Les Menuires in le Trois Valee in the French Alps. She did last season as well.

She has a good life, working in the alps for the winter and Greece in a watersports resort during the saummer (may be in Antigua this summer coming)

The pay isn't amazing but there's no real cost of living, she runs a bar so earns quite a few drinks across the bar as tips.
RichR
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but she boards every day; has several boards for different events - participates in some of the big air and downhill stuff and has even had a couple of nods at sponsorship although thats not why she's doing it.

Whilst I was stuck in meetings today in rainy Stockport; this is what she was doing (just put them up on Facebook)

[Edited on 14-01-2009 by LiVe LeE]
scaron5188
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the feed back guys.

wow ur sister is really living up, n those pics are making me miss the mountains already

i think im gunna have to do it.

plus im not quite doin jumps amazin yet reli, which could be something i could work on while im there. cheers lee
rich0404

15th Jan 09 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it man, I got back from serre chevalier this week, went there for 2 weeks.. Now off to whistler on the 31st for 3months.

Bar/hotel work looks like it takes away alot of your boarding time though you get to meet people and get cheaper accomodation. Theres soo many seasonaires they can treat you like they want because you can be easily replaced. Not saying every job is like that!!

Join scuk or gone boarding, research the resorts..

Good Luck!
ed

15th Jan 09 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I worked Tignes and Val D last winter. It was great while I was there, but I don't think I'd want to do it again...
dangsi

15th Jan 09 at 02:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scaron5188
jus thought i post a thread up to ask people whether they have done a winter season in the alps (or any other ski resort) and whether it was worth it.

reason is i have been snowboarding for 3 years now and cant get enough of it, jus came off holiday from tignes and really bummed to be back, and one holiday a year and trips to snowdome jus isnt satisfying anymore,

so me and my girlfriend are thinking a bout doin a 4 mayb 6 month season in oct/november time? to either "espace killy" tignes/val d'isere or maybe the three valleys, val thorens n that!?

what u think? i think it would be worth it really!

Aaron

hey pal my m8 does it he works at the frech alps for a company called
http://www.descent.co.uk/

all top of the line well worth lookin in to im thinkin bout it as love to snow board aswell

have a look the web site if ure serious il try get in touch with my m8 in france see wat he says
RichR
Premium Member

15th Jan 09 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I lost my job, it's the first thing I'd do.

My sister doesn't seem to lose too much boarding time, she's been there since November and returns in April. Her summer job pays more but the winter job doesn't cost her anything and last year she won a new board half way through the season for best bar takings in a single shift. This year she got invited back as bar manager. The money is better and she gets much better accommodation. Best thing for her is its ski in/ski out so she goes the long way to work, ie boards out the back door, down the mountain, up on the lift and then back down again into work. Its the only job I can think of where you would choose to take the longest route into work possible.

Lift pass, food, lodgings are all included but its the contacts she's made, liek Dad skied for the first time last year so she sorted him ski lessons with ESF which Dad paid next to nothing for, about £40 for 5 mornings, 3 hours per morning.
I don't think (other than going out to the clubs etc) she's ever paid for a drink and she earns something like £125 a week but has no cost of living, so literally spends the lot on new equipment.

[Edited on 15-01-2009 by LiVe LeE]
deano87

15th Jan 09 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
If I lost my job, it's the first thing I'd do.

My sister doesn't seem to lose too much boarding time, she's been there since November and returns in April. Her summer job pays more but the winter job doesn't cost her anything and last year she won a new board half way through the season for best bar takings in a single shift. This year she got invited back as bar manager. The money is better and she gets much better accommodation. Best thing for her is its ski in/ski out so she goes the long way to work, ie boards out the back door, down the mountain, up on the lift and then back down again into work. Its the only job I can think of where you would choose to take the longest route into work possible.

Lift pass, food, lodgings are all included but its the contacts she's made, liek Dad skied for the first time last year so she sorted him ski lessons with ESF which Dad paid next to nothing for, about £40 for 5 mornings, 3 hours per morning.
I don't think (other than going out to the clubs etc) she's ever paid for a drink and she earns something like £125 a week but has no cost of living, so literally spends the lot on new equipment.

[Edited on 15-01-2009 by LiVe LeE]

Sounds perfect. I'd love to do that in the summer season, but biking
RichR
Premium Member

15th Jan 09 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She works for Skibound which if I remember is a Schools ski/board organiser. However, the downstairs of the hotels are bars/restaurants open to the public so they are run as bonefide businesses to turn a profit seperately from the main hotel.
RichR
Premium Member

15th Jan 09 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deano, she works in Greece during the summer (Maybe Antigua this year) as General Manager at a watersports club. She earns good money there and has no expenses, so comes home with a nice lump sum every year.

They have a mountain biking section with an instructor/guide for people who don't want to sail/windsurf/wakeboard/waterski etc
ed

15th Jan 09 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember last season paying €50 for a weeks lift pass for friends. Going back next week as a punter and they'll be €220
deano87

15th Jan 09 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 weeks pass for the whole of the Portes du Soleil is Eur64.00 in the summer
ed

15th Jan 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yarp, been there biking a few times before - the reason it's so cheap is that most of the lift network is closed. The whole area in the winter costs a flippin' fortune!
corsa - gus

15th Jan 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate these threads, they make me want to book a boarding holiday and I can't afford it
deano87

15th Jan 09 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Yarp, been there biking a few times before - the reason it's so cheap is that most of the lift network is closed. The whole area in the winter costs a flippin' fortune!

We never have any trouble as we normally stay at the mountain bike centres i.e. Chatel, Morzine, Les Gets etc.
scaron5188
Premium Member

15th Jan 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rich0404- nice one mate, i love boarding so much, i think im gunna do it, pretty jealous ur going to whistler tho lol.

live lee- sounds wicked mate, im gunna start looking into jobs n stuff, better gettin one with accomidation, but then hotels n restaurants u wont get as much time to board i wouldnt have thought, will soon see .

dangsi- nice one bud, yea think i will check out the site see wat info i can get, soundin better and more of a chance im gunna do it now. we'll have to meet up for a session at the snowdome

corsa - gus- sorry bud lol but i know wat u mean if i could book another trip, even just a week i would do it tomoz...but funds dont allow lol

i had to pay 215 last week for an espace killy pass for tignes n val d'isere, last year only paid like 170, credit crunch lol.

looks like im gunna do it whos jumping on the band wagon joking lol
scaron5188
Premium Member

15th Jan 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also rich i am on scuk, joined a year ago, n jus started to use it properly now lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » winter season 23 database queries in 0.0149391 seconds