corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Yamaha Engine Rebuild (pics)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Yamaha Engine Rebuild (pics)
mazdaspeed

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 09 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK so Im bored, so thought I'd upload some pics of what Im doing at the moment.

I own a Yamaha FJ1200 bike, its my 1st bike from passing my test nearly 3 years ago, it's done 100,000miles on the original engine, the gearbox is starting to wear (slipping out in 2nd under load) so I thought while its off the road, rebuild it. I was given a low mileage spare engine with the bike when I bought it off a mate. The spare engine had done about 2000 miles, the owner crashed it and the head was damaged so I can't simply swap the engines over but the internals are fine. Here goes:

This is my bike, they should have a lower fairing but mine's missing. Yeah its pretty old (J reg), but it has a 120bhp engine so its no slouch and its quite comfortable for long cruises and handles alright for quick blasts.
It has a Thunderace (R1) front brakes and rear wheel for a wider 17" tyre.

OK So work begins few weeks ago started by stripping all body work, wheels and engine out.

Then engine came out

More came off engine

Dont have any pictures of the crank case, but its not that exciting.

These pictures are from today. As you can see I've been de-carbing the head. It has been ported in a previous life, the valve stems have been ground down. I need to lap the valves in to complete the head and give it a coat of paint.

[Edited on 23-01-2009 by mazdaspeed]

[Edited on 23-01-2009 by mazdaspeed]
mazdaspeed

23rd Jan 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have more plans with the bike. I have a thunderace (R1) front end setup (forks, yokes, wheel) to go on. This mod is quite common on this bike, and transforms the handling as well as lightening the front.

The frames getting some new stainless bolts aswell as some new paint, the engines getting a fresh lick of paint, the exhaust is getting some paint actually everythings getting painted apart from the body work.
evans_corsab

23rd Jan 09 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100.000 miles never thought a bike would last to that mileage , good plans , get it made into a street fighter straight bars etc
Graham88

24th Jan 09 at 03:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play, I took my old NC30 to bits but not quite to that extent, great way of learning stuff!
mazdaspeed

24th Jan 09 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its probably over 100k, the engine is 22 years old now but everything on the inside looks good except the gearbox which has 'slightly' worn engagement dogs on 2nd gear. Instead of being \ / shaped they are more like | / so it slips out of gear.
mazdaspeed

30th Jan 09 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well.. New gasket set arrived so engine can begin to go back together. Today I started de-carbing the valves and lapping them in. Now the inlet valves were fine, and polished up really well but the exhaust were very badly pitted. So I used the valves from the spare engine which look like new.

A pillar drill was used to polish the valves, light emery paper gets the heavy carbon off and plastic scotch pad polishes them up.

The exhaust valves at the bottom of the picture, come up like new.

The valves were lapped in, boring job took a few hours to complete - 2 passes with rough paste and 2 with fine.

The result is a nice dull valve seat no pits and constant thickness. Cool.

Wrapped the valves up until I fit new valve stem seals.

The bottom crank case. Scraped the silicone gasket from the mating surfaces, cleaned the mating faces with industrial meths (the clear type not purple - stinks!).

The upper casing - head studs still in place.

First new piece of gearbox, gear selector drum...

goes in.

New selector forks go in next

The gear selector rachet goes in now,

And then the two new gear shafts go in.

Plenty left to do tho!!

[Edited on 30-01-2009 by mazdaspeed]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Yamaha Engine Rebuild (pics) 24 database queries in 0.0127201 seconds