corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.0 12v 99 Corsa B Problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.0 12v 99 Corsa B Problems
Muttly

User status: Offline
26th Jan 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey everyone. I just bought a 99 1.0 12v as a little run around. Nice little car, and isn't the slowest thing in the world (for what it is) but I have a few small problems with it.

I've dash bulbs gone but don't worry I've found the tutorial on how to replace these so I'm grand with that however I have a small issue with the mdf. It might be related to dodgy bulbs but I don't know so I said I'd ask first. Anyway when the lights are off only half the unit lights up, ie the temp side doesn't light up, I'm happy enough that's a blown bulb as you can see what it says just not very well, however when you turn on the lights the whole unit goes dark.
I've no other lights on the centre console but I'm guessing (hoping) its just blown bulbs.

Next issue, I've a gale force wind coming in from behind the dash. I've had a look around and I can't find any duff grommets etc, has anyone come across something like this?

Next one is the heater is crap. Really crap, as in basically no heat. There is some and when the car is stopped with the engine running for a good while it does get nice and hot. I've also noticed the temp gauge never gets above 90, again when you're stopped for a while it does go up and the heat goes up accordingly. Is the thermostat gone or is it something else? The rad fan starts and stops with temp but again only when stopped. Is it possible that there isn't enough water in the engine? Unfortunately there's no marking on the water bottle, well I lie slightly, there is markings but they're unreadable so I don't know what it says.
Fonz
Premium Member

26th Jan 09 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

firstly the MFD and clock lights are dimming not going out. you have a rolling dimmer switch under the courtesy/ sidelight/headlight selector

gale force wind doesnt sound good, iv no suggestion but suspect it is linked to the lack of heat from the heater.

90 degrees is the running temp of the cars water, any higher and you are close to boiling the water. when the car stops it is no longer getting cooling from the air entering the radiator so you'd expect it the temperature to rise, this is normal. the fan that you here kicking in is there to avoid the temperature getting to high

there will be markings on the water bottle, in the form of arrows, min max or may even be in German. either way they will be there, check that the level is inbetween these marks.

i would suggest you read the owners manual my friend as these questions are answered in there and will help you out.
Muttly

26th Jan 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
firstly the MFD and clock lights are dimming not going out. you have a rolling dimmer switch under the courtesy/ sidelight/headlight selector

gale force wind doesnt sound good, iv no suggestion but suspect it is linked to the lack of heat from the heater.

90 degrees is the running temp of the cars water, any higher and you are close to boiling the water. when the car stops it is no longer getting cooling from the air entering the radiator so you'd expect it the temperature to rise, this is normal. the fan that you here kicking in is there to avoid the temperature getting to high

there will be markings on the water bottle, in the form of arrows, min max or may even be in German. either way they will be there, check that the level is inbetween these marks.

i would suggest you read the owners manual my friend as these questions are answered in there and will help you out.
Cheers mate, but I'm not a noob at these though.

The lights are going out, completely out. The dash dimmer works perfectly on the speedo etc but the mdf goes completely off, not dark, completely off.

I'm aware that the fan is related the the engine temp, I was only saying this so people don't come back and say maybe your rad fan is dead or something along those lines.

The wind doesn't appear to be related to the heater as its irrelevant as to what fan speed is set to 0-4 the cold air comes in at the same speed. It does seem related to the car speed.

The bottle has no markings left on it, yes they were there at some point however over time they have faded and are now completely useless as the markings are all but gone.
Muttly

26th Jan 09 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small update. I found the problem with the wind, turns out the screen was replaced badly at some point. A lot of sealer and it seems ok now.

I've also replaced all bulbs however the mfd is still turning off when I flick to parks/dims/fulls. Any ideas related to this would be greatly appreciated!

There doesn't appear to be a problem with the heater however I'll just have to hope the lack of a 3" gap on the front windscreen helps with the heat.

New Poll