corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How do Credit cards work?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do Credit cards work?
Brabus

User status: Offline
27th Jan 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a personal loan which i pay £160pm and is due to end in Nov this year, i have approx £1000 left on it.

Is it possible to get a 0% credit card, pay the outstanding balance on the loan and carry on paying the same £160 off the credit card each month. At 0% it would be paid off by July, saving me 3 months.

Is this possible or am i living in a dream world
ed

27th Jan 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get the cards then you can keep on transferring the balance over to new 0% offers for as long they keep giving the cards out to you. It's called being a credit tart
Eck
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is possible. With a One Card from HBOS you get 10months interest free on balance transfers. So depending if you get a high enough limit, paying off the loan could be a good solution. As long as you pay off the credit card in the correct time then it may benefit you. But is the £1000 a settlement figure, or is that an estimation? If the latter I suggest getting a correct figure. In theory it could be £1000 but they may add a charge, or in HBOS' case, upto 60 days of interest.
Brabus

27th Jan 09 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
It is possible. With a One Card from HBOS you get 10months interest free on balance transfers. So depending if you get a high enough limit, paying off the loan could be a good solution. As long as you pay off the credit card in the correct time then it may benefit you. But is the £1000 a settlement figure, or is that an estimation? If the latter I suggest getting a correct figure. In theory it could be £1000 but they may add a charge, or in HBOS' case, upto 60 days of interest.

TBF it is a 'guesstimation' however i will call them for an accurate figure. So does the limit you get depend on your credit history, or do they gradually increase it over time as you use it?

Also would me applying for a card, calling Lloyds TSB and paying off my loan using the card details be classed as a 'balance transfer'?

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by Brabus]
Conway563

27th Jan 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Limit would depend on your history and current situation

As far as Im aware that would be classed as a purchase as opposed to a transfer
Brabus

27th Jan 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound, so i need a 0% interest on purchases for at least 6 months and hope they give me a good limit.
deano87

27th Jan 09 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure you can pay off credit with credit. You need to speak to your loan provider if they'll accept payment via credit rather than debit card.

I know with Virgin Credit Cards (because I have one) you can do a balance transfer to your current/debit account, which means you could pay the loan off with your debit card.
strick206

27th Jan 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but you need to check with the company the loan is from as they may charge you for paying it off early, if they do it may not be worth putting it on a credit card

Also, there are more risks with a credit card, it's far easier to run up a debt on a credit card than it is if you had a loan you're paying each month

Twiggy

27th Jan 09 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right you need one of these....

VIRGIN CARD

Have the balance of the loan put into you bank accout and pay off the loan.

Pay the 2.98% - £29.80 for £1000

Change your Standing Order to pay the card as we can only offer minimum/full payment direct debit. (I would also set a dd up for min anyway)

DO NOT USE CARD

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by Twiggy]

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by Twiggy]
Welsh Dan

27th Jan 09 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Twiggy said. Do a balance transfer to your bank account, then pay off the loan.
Brabus

28th Jan 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, good advice Twiggy, ill get onto it, just about to call for an accurate settlement figure.
atz_49

28th Jan 09 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But would transfering X amount from your Virgin card to your bank account class as a purchase? I believe it would, hence you would only get 6 months at 0% APR not the 16 months like you would with a balance transfer?
Twiggy

28th Jan 09 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by atz_49
But would transfering X amount from your Virgin card to your bank account class as a purchase? I believe it would, hence you would only get 6 months at 0% APR not the 16 months like you would with a balance transfer?

No we call it a Money Transfer so its classed as a Balance Transfer

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How do Credit cards work? 23 database queries in 0.0103848 seconds