corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bottom End Gone?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bottom End Gone?
swill_omnibus

User status: Offline
28th Jan 09 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

1997 corsa X14XE Engine.

Took car to garage today as it's been mis-firing recently etc.

Their diagnostics couldn't communicate with my cars ECU so they didn't charge etc and they recommended another garage.

Went to pick it up and went to start it, just constant whining and turning over but no spark, when i put foot on the revs though, it would kick it but was constantly banging in the engine! and second i let go of ignition, it would instantly just cut out and die.

So both me and the mechanic (know fairly well) said he'll roll it back in and inspect it.

Just had a call saying that theres ZERO compression on cylinder4 and the spark plug in that cylinder is absolutely smashed to bits

Other than being f****d what does this indicate? Bottom end failure or timing belt slip or other?

Cheers

[Edited on 28-01-2009 by swill_omnibus]
swill_omnibus

28th Jan 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bumpy bump
Gizzy

28th Jan 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same problem that me and craig just found on his x14xe timing had slipped and bent inlet valves
swill_omnibus

28th Jan 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah nuts, how did you sort it? Was it expensive or?

Did you find the cylinder was also damaged and such?
Richardhhha

28th Jan 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

timings jumped mate, head off and inspect the head for damage (get it ported whilst the head is off )
swill_omnibus

28th Jan 09 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah so it could be the head then and not the bottom end?

Whats the trick with converting the X14XE to X16XE is it changing the head or the bottom end?
Craig P

28th Jan 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well Tonight i took my Head off and found that all 4 Pistons have very slight wear on the Top,Also there is 2 Or 4 Bent Valves And a Cracked Head

I had preety much the same problems as you but i didnt have literally no Compression but it was very low,And then finially it wouldnt Start and i had no Spark to begin with,But then i managed to get a spark but still wouldnt Fire and eventually found that the Timing was out(Sliped) causing the above Damage.

I havnt fixed the problem yet,But i would start with checking the Timing if its out,Correct it then Re-try.If that doesnt work then wip the Head of and Inspect it.

Craig
swill_omnibus

28th Jan 09 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah awesome cheers 4that guys, i'll have a nose at it 2mos
Gizzy

28th Jan 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damage wise cant really say until get head off inspect it but sounds like bent valves etc £21each inlet valves £23pound each exhaust valves £14pound headgasket thats vauxhall price
Richardhhha

28th Jan 09 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the engines are interferance engines iirc and if they are even 1 tooth out they are going to have a little bit of bent valvage.. in relation to putting a 16xe lump in your 14xe shell

just get the engine and ecu (if its got coded keys you need the transponder and ignition barel to) and lieraly it just all plugs in wher the old one does nothing needs chaning
Ellis

29th Jan 09 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to get away with 1 tooth out on the timing...

Didn't know the accident had cause the timing to slip, wooops
swill_omnibus

29th Jan 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well got THEAA to tow my car today, the mechanic did say he took the head off and (didn't ask about valves) said that the timing belt was sound but all 4 pistons are marked

So he mentioned possibly a con-rod has given way perhaps.

But the engine is literally dead now anyway, can't check it today as weather stinks, gonna wait for a reasonably dry day and take pics etc

New Poll