corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tropical Fish Question...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tropical Fish Question...
Doug

User status: Offline
4th Feb 09 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its been about 6-7 years since I have had a fishtank but i'm going to set one up at the weekend and get it cycling.

I fancy having a a purely Cichalid tank this time, I have kept them in general community tanks before but I am bored by neon tetras

Can I keep shrimp in with Cichalids? If so what types?
I always wanted shrimp but I never actually bought any for my tanks before

I am assuming that they will scavenge to feed themselves but the odd fish pellet would do them good?
Cosmo

4th Feb 09 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as your tank is well aquascaped with placed for them to hide and sleep then you shouldnt have a problem keeping them with Chichalids.

As for food, they eat the general crap so that includes shite and the excess food. So its just a case of keeping an eye on whats being eaten and just over feeding the tank so they have some to eat. Be careul to have a decent filtration system though to cover anything they dont eat.
Doug

4th Feb 09 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the slight problem.

Cichalids destroy plants but shrimps need them to survive

Going to spend ages aqua acaping this one till I am 100% happy with it. Never been 100% happy in the past so going to throw some cash at this one to get decent bogwood and java fern etc
Cosmo

4th Feb 09 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, not just plants though, give them places to hide (under bogwood, broken plant pots, caves made from larger stones, etc.) so the fish cant get to them.
Doug

4th Feb 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going for sand as the substrate this time so they can burry around in that aswell.

Whats the best type to go for to keep the sand turned up and general shit being eaten? I like the cherry reds but I think they are more decorative than purposeful?
MarkM

5th Feb 09 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt mind a couple of shrimps in my tank but I keep reading horror stories of them escaping the tank and going walkabout!!

What cichlids are you going for?

I have a few Firemouths and a pair of Blue Acara's (South American) that I am trying to breed...

sam-smith

5th Feb 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you wnt an asian upside down catfish mine is awesome

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tropical Fish Question... 23 database queries in 0.0139759 seconds