corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Another Argument To Settle Please...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another Argument To Settle Please...
joes_1.4_16v_sport

User status: Offline
7th Feb 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regarding Broadband connection on an ordinary PC.

Which 1 is faster/ should be faster with the loading of Internet pages, FB, Ebay + The likes... Also refreshing those said pages.

My mate says Wiresless is "Miles faster" Where-as I said- Are you pissed? Wired or "Ethernet" is 5x faster.

For example-

Transfering data to/ from your mobile <-----> pc. Bluetooth or Data cable?

Data cable hands down i.m.o.

Thanks+ Goodnight.

John

7th Feb 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a broadband connection both of them will be exactly the same.

Geek day

[Edited on 07-02-2009 by John]
Jay

7th Feb 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate using the Data Cable to transfer stuff, much easier to bluetooth it. Also, our laptop is wireless and the PC is ethernet, laptops much quicker at loading pages. But that could be to do with laptop being 1 year old and PC being about 3 years old...?
Cosmo

7th Feb 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the webpage, depends on the amount you are tranfering and it depends on the two interfaces.

For smaller amounts I seriously doubt you'll see much of a difference, for larger Id personally go for wired - but again it depends on the above.
joes_1.4_16v_sport

9th Feb 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well,

I work in Virgin Media.

Theres possibly 50 pc's in the room all with Net access but only 1/5 at anyone time on the net / using websites.

Cosmo, Just normal i.net browsing. Nothing to heafty.
Neo

9th Feb 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theoretically its the same.

Wireless transfer rate is ussually 54 Mbps
Unless your broadand connection speed is more than 54 Mbps, your going to have a very similar speed on both machines. Not noticible.

Sam
Premium Member

9th Feb 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are talking about wireless vs wired on the same broadband connection, wired will be faster due to no signal loss etc.

Wireless speed > BB router will be typically 54MBps.
Wired speed > BB router will be typically 100MBps.

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by Sam]
Ash_EP3

9th Feb 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said if you're running the same speed then it will be the same, but a wired connection will be more reliable as it won't get interference from things such as a microwave like I do at home
Neo

9th Feb 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
If you are talking about wireless vs wired on the same broadband connection, wired will be faster due to no signal loss etc.

Wireless speed > BB router will be typically 54MBps.
Wired speed > BB router will be typically 100MBps.

But if your broadband line is 6Mbps....you arent going to notice any different.

Wired environment would be used when connecting to a server for example, which can transfer data at a much higher rate than a broadband connection speed you get down your phone line

In my opinion, a tightly secured wireless connection is better than a wired for home/small business use.
Paul_J

9th Feb 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing is, you may get more packet loss on the wireless connection, meaning a slight hit on the performance.
Neo

9th Feb 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Only thing is, you may get more packet loss on the wireless connection, meaning a slight hit on the performance.

Un noticible unless your playing games online. But general internet browsing you wont notice any difference.
_Allan_

9th Feb 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She is wearing glasses ffs!
Paul_J

9th Feb 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:

Un noticible unless your playing games online. But general internet browsing you wont notice any difference.

Definately, not really noticable.

However, the man asked which was faster - technically wired will be faster due to less loss of packets (having to be resent). Although it won't be noticable and I think wireless is a lot easier / more convienient than having wires everywhere - it's still the answer to the question asked.
Neo

9th Feb 09 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:

Definately, not really noticable.

However, the man asked which was faster - technically wired will be faster due to less loss of packets (having to be resent). Although it won't be noticable and I think wireless is a lot easier / more convienient than having wires everywhere - it's still the answer to the question asked.

Yes paul

Ok...so in conclusion Wired will be faster......but you wouldnt be able to notice any difference if all your doing is browsing the web.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Another Argument To Settle Please... 23 database queries in 0.0136180 seconds