corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Simple circuit - Looking for something to reduce current from 5v to 3/3.5v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Simple circuit - Looking for something to reduce current from 5v to 3/3.5v
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Feb 09 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a simple 5v circuit (actually i may be running it a lower than that but not sure yet) i need a simple rocker switch to turn it on and off
will this do? its rated for a lot higher voltage so wandering if my trickle of a voltage will not be able to flow through it or whether it will be just fine?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98091

Edit - I now something to reduce my voltage from 5v to about 3.5/3v. Im guessing something along the lines of a resistor? any one point me in the right direction

[Edited on 12-02-2009 by CorsaB4ever]
csweatherston

10th Feb 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be fine.
Toby
Premium Member

10th Feb 09 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate
Toby
Premium Member

12th Feb 09 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see edit
Dom

12th Feb 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want a regulator to drop the 5v to 3/3.3v. If the max load is 1A, then something like TS1086CZ-3.3 (maplin code - N57CA) should do the trick

you can bodge it with resistors, but if the 5v line drops (or increases) so will the output. With a reg it'll try and keep a consistent output.

edit - you'll also need to add a few capacitors, eitherside of the Reg (ie: pos to gnd) to stable the output. And before you use it, obviously check it out with a desktop power supply and multi-meter.

[Edited on 12-02-2009 by Dom]
Toby
Premium Member

12th Feb 09 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dom! Can i get the capacitators from maplin also and if so could you possibly point out which ones? Could you also just point out where in the circuit i should place the regulator and capaciator, cheers
Dom

12th Feb 09 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Similar to -

But the input is +5v, outputs +3.3v and the caps are 10uF.

Fit the switch before the first capacitor on the +5v side and the Fans pos on the regs +3.3v output (after the capacitor).

This should work, but it's been along time since i've done anything like this Hence why i said you should check it with a bench power supply and multi-meter before using it.
Toby
Premium Member

12th Feb 09 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so on my circuit starting form source i would have;
Positive from source - Switch - Cap (connected to neg) - Regulator (connected to neg) - Cap (connected to neg) - positive to fan?
this correct?
this ok in 10uf version?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=7011
Dom

12th Feb 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the negatives connect together (ie: Source neg, both cap negs, reg neg and fan neg). Then all the positives are connected together like above (ie: source to switch, then to cap 1 pos and then reg positive in. Then reg positive out to cap 2 pos, then to fan pos).

Remeber that the Reg has three pins, 1 is usually in, 2 is usually ground/neg and 3 is positive out. I doubt it'll get hot, but if it does you might need a heatsink (again, i can only see it getting warm). Also make sure you buy a reg that can deal with rating of the Fan - ie: Fan draws 2 Amps get a reg that can handle 2amps, Fan draws 1 Amp, get a 1A Reg.

And yeah that capacitor looks about right - 10uF should do it but you might need something bigger like 100uF or 10nF.

Like i say, make sure you get this running before you put it in your application as i'm working off ancient GCSE electronics

Unless you're local to a Maplins, i would see if parts are cheaper on Ebay/Rapid Electronics (can't remember if their delivery is cheap).
Dom

12th Feb 09 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, unless it's essential for the fan to run at 3.3v then it might be worth bodging it with resitors (keep adding them til you hit 3volts or so). Same goes if your using it with a clean power source - PC's PSU/Battery etc.
Toby
Premium Member

12th Feb 09 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the source is from my media players PCB so around 3 volts is just the aim so not really after anything to technical plus it wont matter that the resistor will take time to build up in other words my fan wont blow if it has the full 5v before the resistor kicks in. What resistors should i be looking at
John

13th Feb 09 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There will probably be 3v somewhere on the board, micrcontrollers normally run at 3v.
ed

13th Feb 09 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could make a circuit using a 555 IC and a MOSFET to trigger the voltage. Could then even have variable speed control then...

New Poll