corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weymouth FC - Show your support

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weymouth FC - Show your support
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 09 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As anyone who watched soccer saturday will know Weymouth got absolutely hammered 0-9 by Rushden. The club is in crisis and no longer has any first team players, they are having to play their youth team.

Its another reminder of struggling non league clubs and its not looking good for Weymouth at all. Even if they manage to fufil the fixtures this season it is likely to be using yound lads and volunteers. It must be so disheartening for the fans yet they showed up and gave the young lads a standing ovation after the match on saturday.

As a fellow non league fan and one of a club who knows exactly how it feels to be on the brink of extinction i fully sympathise with the supporters and hope they pull through somehow.

We play Weymouth in our next match and the York City Minstermen are paying for the away fans coach to York. A great sign of the solidarity between fans in the lower league. I imagine a bucket collection will be held too and i for one will be making a contribution like so many rival clubs fans did when we were in trouble.

No arguing about whos fault it is in this thread please, its the fans that have to suffer, its the fans that will always be there.

Im sure a message of support left on their forum would be much appreciated.

http://www.saveourclub.co.uk/website/why.htm

http://terras-talk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6157

Cosmo

23rd Feb 09 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think TopShot is at fault - no arguing about it in this thread please.
strick206

Hope they don't go bust but it's looking very likely now

All their first team players have gone, so its highly unlikely they'll win a game again this season

Cosmo

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
All their first team players have gone, so its highly unlikely they'll win a game again this season

Dunno, if they are playing York...
Adge

23rd Feb 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wud play for them if they need a hand
Cavey

23rd Feb 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't they have any first team players? Unable to pay them?
JonnyJ

23rd Feb 09 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Why don't they have any first team players? Unable to pay them?

Players haven't been paid for 7 weeks, they can't even afford the insurance for the players apparently.
Danny P

23rd Feb 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was disgusting on SSN on Saturday, them all taking the piss that Weymouth were losing 9-0. Noticed they failed to mention about the debt & the fact it was mostly the under 18's playing Maybe if more people were made aware of the fact they were in trouble they may have a better chance of survival.

Know what its like been only days/hours from losing your Football club so hope they pull through, but it doesn't look good for them.
JonnyJ

23rd Feb 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
That was disgusting on SSN on Saturday, them all taking the piss that Weymouth were losing 9-0. Noticed they failed to mention about the debt & the fact it was mostly the under 18's playing Maybe if more people were made aware of the fact they were in trouble they may have a better chance of survival.

Know what its like been only days/hours from losing your Football club so hope they pull through, but it doesn't look good for them.

Agree mate, really just goes to show the ignorance of the pundits. Ah well as long as they got a giggle out of it i suppose. Im sure they 900 odd Weymouth fans weren't laughing.

Still i heard they showed great support and gave a standing ovation to the young lads playing, must be hard for them, not really a great confidence boost that early in your career.

Also must be said the Rushden players were apparently encouraging the Weymouth boys and even though a few may say it was harsh of them to hammer them, they have to be professional and try up their GD if they have a chance.

It will certainly be interesting what team they will be able to bring (if any) to York.
strick206

23rd Feb 09 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
No arguing about whos fault it is in this thread please, its the fans that have to suffer, its the fans that will always be there.

I'm not wishing to start an argument but that forum states poor management for the problems
JonnyJ

23rd Feb 09 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not the fans nor the players fault though and thats who we are meant to be showing support for.
strick206

23rd Feb 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thats not the fans nor the players fault though and thats who we are meant to be showing support for.

Yes but unfortunately it never is, it is a club at the end of the day, and as much as the players don't deserve it, nor the fans, theres nothing anyone can do
JonnyJ

23rd Feb 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really? Because last time i checked at York, thanks to the many bucket collections and fund raising initiatives by the fans (of our club and others) we finally brought the club out of administration and owned the club via the supporters trust.

Theres loads people can do to help clubs like Weymouth, like one of our supporters groups paying for the away fans minibus to York on saturday. Its all little things but they help a lot.

Even a message on a forum can hearten the fans to think at least others care.

I like to think fans can pull together in times like this. If people just adopt a "well there's nothing we can do" attitude clubs like Weymouth are going to continue going under without a trace.

This isn't a poverty plea thread like "if only Man utd would donate a players wages they could save a club" the idea was to provide awareness and support to a club when they need it most.

At the end of the day the fans "own" football, not the fa or some russian billionnaire. Without us there wouldn't be a game and this shows when we all work together to help other struggling clubs.
strick206

24th Feb 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but i was saying these clubs get into the shit because of bad management

Like Luton, and Weymouth, evens Leeds

Greed is the main factor with football club owners and that is where they start to fall

How much is the away fans minibus going to cost york fans? Personally i would rather look after my own club than someone elses, especially when i don't imagine York are exactly flush

As much as i think paying for the minibus is a good idea, i think that money should be kept for when york need it
JonnyJ

24th Feb 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yes but i was saying these clubs get into the shit because of bad management

Like Luton, and Weymouth, evens Leeds

Greed is the main factor with football club owners and that is where they start to fall

How much is the away fans minibus going to cost york fans? Personally i would rather look after my own club than someone elses, especially when i don't imagine York are exactly flush

As much as i think paying for the minibus is a good idea, i think that money should be kept for when york need it

Im not sure a couple of hundred maybe. About £10 off each member. We already pay for the clubs reserve and youth teams to be kept running every year but a tenner to help a few fellow fans out isn't much to ask. Thousands of other rival clubs fans did the same when we were in trouble.

You about the bad management and while yes i agree, thats not who we are trying to support. Take note we are paying for the FANS minibus, not the club/teams bus. Im not saying we should be trying to bail out the people who cause the problem, im saying support the people who are trying to solve the problem and keep the club in business, the fans.
Danny P

24th Feb 09 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Here we have the shelfish attitude of an "big team" supporter that couldn't give a fuck about anyone else as long as they are at the top making all the money.

Things like this you'll never understand.
strick206

24th Feb 09 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Danny, as i have said it is a very nice gesture from the fans to help the away fans out, so that the away fans can use the money they save from the coach to put money into the club

But when you effectively own the club, and are most likely not flush yourself, putting money into other clubs is not wise, although a very nice gesture

I may be a selfish person in your eyes but i am not, and i think how it is run is slightly unfair, but there is massive demand for the best football, hence the high price paid for tv rights etc

Unfortunately the country would not like to watch york vs weymouth when united versus blackburn are on, they'd prefer to watch better quality football, and that is where the money comes from

Its all down to the demand and therefore the supply is there
JonnyJ

24th Feb 09 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh btw Strick we don't own the club anymore, we lost our majority over a year ago.
strick206

24th Feb 09 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Oh btw Strick we don't own the club anymore, we lost our majority over a year ago.

Who owns it now then? Another businessman seeking to bleed the club dry?
JonnyJ

24th Feb 09 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Who owns it now then? Another businessman seeking to bleed the club dry?

Long story. Basically put the York City Supporters Trust voted by three to one to accept a takeover offer made by McGill. It was kinda forced because we were told if we didnt relinquish our shares the club would go under. It was a very reluctant vote by our supporters but the majority felt we had no choice. His company J M Packaging offered to invest a substantial sum into the club, in return for a majority shareholding.

He now owns 75% of the club, which involves him making a £1 million investment. However, he will receive £500k back from the club as part of the deal, at the same time as potentially profiting from the sale of Bootham Crescent as and when it occurs. This means that the regular claims he is making a £1m investment is possibly wrong. It is only approximately £500k in the long term.

He is a life long fan but he basically has a risk free investment which has led to a few supporters thinking he doesnt have the best interests of the club at heart. TBF to him though things seem to be moving in the right direction and hopefully we will get our new stadium which is what the future of the club lies with.

Only time will tell tbh. Just wait for the York City FC - Show your support thread
Danny P

24th Feb 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No Danny, as i have said it is a very nice gesture from the fans to help the away fans out, so that the away fans can use the money they save from the coach to put money into the club

But when you effectively own the club, and are most likely not flush yourself, putting money into other clubs is not wise, although a very nice gesture

It might not be wise, but this isn't about being "wise" its about helping out fellow football fans who now are in a similar situation that you found yourselfs in only a few years ago. I bet other teams helped York out when they were in trouble, so York are just doing thier bit to help out. In fact I remember Sunderland fans doing a bucket collection at York and they raised a shed load of money for them which in the end will have helped to save the club.

I remember when Huddersfield played Wrexham in the last match of the season & they needed to raise a certain amount money before the end of that Saturday. They had raised loads already but were a couple of thousand short. They had organised a march through the Town & 100's of Huddersfield fans marched alongside them collecting & donating money to help Wrexham, by the end of the day they had raised enough. End of the game thier fans came onto the field over the where we were sitting & clapped us, fol kwere crying on the field they were that happy we had helped them out so much. Outside people were coming up to us shaking our hands, hugging us.

Sometimes it isn't always about the best players, the most trophies. Football is more than that. Fans make football what it is, without fans there would be no football. When they pull together like this its special. I'm sure the York fans will feel just as good by helping out Weymouth than they would if that money went to York to build a new pie stall or summat.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weymouth FC - Show your support 24 database queries in 0.0165300 seconds