corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Is low speed engine braking bad?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is low speed engine braking bad?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Feb 09 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
It's funny in my car, whenever I'm slowing down I use engine braking, sometimes I heel and toe, other times I don't but either way if there's a few 'yoofs' about my car WILL get looked at

If I heal and toe they hear a loud rev and look, if I don't they hear it popping and look

Heel and toe does take some getting used to, it's best to try it away from public roads at first First time I tried was on some empty car park in Nottingham in a Suzuki Ignis 'Twas a bit jerky

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by Mike B]
dont see why you need to heel and toe. its only used to match the revs when changeing down fast so engine brakeing dose not lock the driven wheels, ie in a rwd car mid bend, it would be like yancking the handbrake

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by GSi_16v]

Smoooooooothness generally tbh, instead of bringing the clutch back up slow to try and get it smooth, match the revs bang clutch out, sorted. I do it just in normal driving quite a bit
harrisp

24th Feb 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
If you want to save wear on your clutch just change gear without using it.

That's a fun game to play when bored My Sprinter van doesn't like it tho, although I think some of the synchros are on the way out anyway, it really doesn't like going into second when it's cold

I used to be quite good at it but have lost the knack and it takes a few seconds to do it, and 1 litres aren't great for blipping
My dad is boss at it though, he drove a van 200 miles without a clutch cable.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

24th Feb 09 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not doen anything like that distance but to prove I wasn't using the clutch once I did drive down quite a long road with my left foot on my dash
harrisp

24th Feb 09 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've not doen anything like that distance but to prove I wasn't using the clutch once I did drive down quite a long road with my left foot on my dash

My missus couldn't work it out how I was doing at first a didn't believe I wasn't using the clutch.
sand-eel

24th Feb 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

blipping the throttle is the way forward, saves the clutch and sounds cool.

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by sand-eel]
Nick-S

24th Feb 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
quote:
It's funny in my car, whenever I'm slowing down I use engine braking, sometimes I heel and toe, other times I don't but either way if there's a few 'yoofs' about my car WILL get looked at

If I heal and toe they hear a loud rev and look, if I don't they hear it popping and look

Heel and toe does take some getting used to, it's best to try it away from public roads at first First time I tried was on some empty car park in Nottingham in a Suzuki Ignis 'Twas a bit jerky

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by Mike B]
dont see why you need to heel and toe. its only used to match the revs when changeing down fast while brakeing so engine brakeing dose not lock the driven wheels, ie in a rwd car mid bend, it would be like yancking the handbrake

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by GSi_16v]

Smoooooooothness generally tbh, instead of bringing the clutch back up slow to try and get it smooth, match the revs bang clutch out, sorted. I do it just in normal driving quite a bit
makes no sence in town traffic tbh. on track may be....
antnee

24th Feb 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My instructor also said to use engine braking, brake using pedal, keeping clutch up, only pressing the clutch down when a few 100 revs above tickover.
Mobby

24th Feb 09 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Best way to drive. I do it all the time, motorbike riders tend to take it from their bike riding to car driving.
i agree, i also feel safer going fast round corners when the car is higher up in the rev rang.
DaveyLC

24th Feb 09 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use engine braking on the motorbike and in manual cars... I drive an auto as a daily driver and the lack of engine braking is the only thing that pisses me off
pow
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I match my revs to the "expected" engine speed when I change down a gear, thats for smoothness.
Kevxx

25th Feb 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
If you want to save wear on your clutch just change gear without using it.

That's a fun game to play when bored My Sprinter van doesn't like it tho, although I think some of the synchros are on the way out anyway, it really doesn't like going into second when it's cold

is it true at a certain rev range you don't need the clutch to change gear?

my mate says his boss said that, and show'd him, i never knew if it was shit or not.
pow
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it is, next time your coming down to a stop, try and "pop" the car out of gear. Don't force it, when it hits that "happy" little range, you'll simply be able to move the gear stick into neutral.
richc

25th Feb 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Yeah it is, next time your coming down to a stop, try and "pop" the car out of gear. Don't force it, when it hits that "happy" little range, you'll simply be able to move the gear stick into neutral.

Been doing it out of bordem in the caddy today

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Is low speed engine braking bad? 23 database queries in 0.0123010 seconds