corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Education vs Job Day: Shall I stay on one more year? two more years?

Poll: Education vs Job Day: Shall I stay on one more year? two more years?
  Try to get a job after the Foundation Degree
  Stay on and top it up full time
  Stay on and top it up part-time

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Education vs Job Day: Shall I stay on one more year? two more years?
Ash_EP3

User status: Offline
25th Feb 09 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment I am on my last year of my Foundation Degree in IT (equivalent to a HND) and I am split as to what I should do next...

I can either start applying for jobs - a foundation degree isn't that well known for many businesses should be looking to start on about 15-18k

Stay on full-time and top up my foundation degree to make it an honours degree (1 year, 2 long days a week, £3,500 per year) Seen some starting jobs from 18k + (depending on experience and how well you do on the degree)

Stay on part-time (top it up the same as full-time) takes 2 years 1 long day a week and costs £800+ a year
Again starting on the same wage but takes an extra year, could see if I could work 4 days a week and have a day release to top up.

Just thought i'd ask as some of you might have/had similar experiences - I hate working part time on the weekends (only earn £400-£500 a month) and it's the weekend....

Thanks

Edit: I should have CCNA 1 as well by the time I finish

[Edited on 25-02-2009 by S214_UPP]
MarkM

25th Feb 09 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the course full time then start work... IMHO...
James

25th Feb 09 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you studying?

What industry do you hope to go into? And doing what job?

All of these are a factor in whether or not a bachelors degree will be useful.
James

25th Feb 09 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry just re-read it - you are doing IT.

What are your career aspirations?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Feb 09 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do the full time which is only 2 days a week and spend the rest of the week taking over the world.
Matt L

25th Feb 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in a similarish situation, whether to fruther studies and stay in current job although will be more of a pain in a year or so when i have to move, or change jobs with what i have (or should i say will have in a few months) and potentially not study more.
Ash_EP3

25th Feb 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
What are you studying?

What industry do you hope to go into? And doing what job?

All of these are a factor in whether or not a bachelors degree will be useful.

IT - networking and support is my pathway for the last year, I want to look at getting into analyst jobs in the future (systems analyst) and maybe consultancy but not 100% sure yet

Obviously I won't be able to start high so 1st line support or technician work would be ideal to get into for a first job
James

25th Feb 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By systems analyst do you mean on the software side?

If you want a career working in IT for large blue chip companies that pay well and offer good career progression then complete your degree.

If you are happy working for smaller companies that will pay lesser salaries then don't bother.

TBH for the sake of 2 days a week for one year I would do it. I would try and get an IT based job for the other 3 days.
Ash_EP3

25th Feb 09 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
By systems analyst do you mean on the software side?

If you want a career working in IT for large blue chip companies that pay well and offer good career progression then complete your degree.

If you are happy working for smaller companies that will pay lesser salaries then don't bother.

TBH for the sake of 2 days a week for one year I would do it. I would try and get an IT based job for the other 3 days.

Yea that sounds ideal really getting some extra cash whilst still being able to top it up can get a student loan on top too

edit: oops no I don't mean the software side I can only do basic programming (just about ) with web etc so nothing too complicated

[Edited on 25-02-2009 by S214_UPP]
James

25th Feb 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Working on the software side isn't all about the programming - there are less technically focused roles such as systems/business analyst and project manager.

See if you can get a network support role for 3 days a week while you complete your degree. If you like it and they like you, you might be able to turn it into full time when you complete your degree.

[Edited on 25-02-2009 by James]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Education vs Job Day: Shall I stay on one more year? two more years? 23 database queries in 0.0093999 seconds