corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Distance Learning

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Distance Learning
James

User status: Offline
6th Mar 09 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of questions about this.

Firstly, anyone done it before? Any advice etc?

Secondly, would a masters degree achieved via distance learning be any less highly regarded than a masters degree achieved via the traditional method?

Thanks.
Andrew

6th Mar 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I regret not doing it aswell now Had the chance and now i can't get enough cash together to go back to uni.
James

6th Mar 09 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't really regret not doing it.

TBH I am looking at MBAs so can't do those straight after an undergraduate degree anyway.
Aaron

6th Mar 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I FAIL at distance learning. I need to have a tutor lead course TBH.

I attempted to do the new style CCNA via distance learning....failed, so started a degree in September instead (and ts going great)
James

6th Mar 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I had thought that I might find it hard, but I was going to see if I could get my company to give me half a day a week to work on it, and then do some more at a weekend.

[Edited on 06-03-2009 by James]
myke

6th Mar 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an old school friend is doing an MBA distantly at the moment after selling his share of his successful business to his brother.

It's one of the most highly regarded degrees anyway, so i can't see why it would hold less kudos than one gained at a uni directly.

If anything i think it shows more discipline as you need to self motivate yourself rather than having tutors nagging you on.
AndyKent

6th Mar 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently doing a distance learning degree with the College of Estate Management in Reading (Building Surveying degree).

My company were nervous of letting me start it as quite rightly they don't know whether you'll do the work or not.

As it happens, I'm quite happy to just take a day off per week and sit at home reading the material and writing essays.

To me, it seems much more relaxed and easier to get on with than a face-to-face course, as you don't get any distractions and can just get on with it.

That said, I do have to disconnect my internet connection, else I'll start off on google, then wikipedia, then CS and then find I've buggered around doing nothing for 30 minutes

It takes some discipline, but as said, my company have a fair bit of respect that I've got the self-discipline to get on with it - it certainly woudln't be for everyone....
James

6th Mar 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aPK - did you fund it yourself? MBAs are so expensive, it would needed to be sponsored by my employer.
AndyKent

6th Mar 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, employers sponsoring me for the 3k per year, as well as giving me a day off per week on full pay during term time.
James

6th Mar 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's impressive. I think that kind of flexibility is rare in industry these days, although I guess it depends on how much the qualification will improve your contribution to the company.

The one i'm interested in is £5k per year. But because it's distance learning, it could take 2 - 5 years.

[Edited on 06-03-2009 by James]
AndyKent

6th Mar 09 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only work in a small company and they seem to be quirky like that - you're right though, seems to be very rare.

As I'm training as a Building Surveyor, the degree is a big part of that - will take 4 years and I started in September last year - a similar full-time degree with a traditional institution seems to take about the same amount of time weirdly.....

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Distance Learning 23 database queries in 0.2018621 seconds