corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » submit site to google option (questions)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author submit site to google option (questions)
Matt L

User status: Offline
27th Mar 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what the hell does it do got the option on my control panel.

obviously it does what it says on the tin ie submits my site to google.
but what does that mean?

will people beable to search for it?
will it cost me anything?

etc etc
John

27th Mar 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It means google will know it's there and start indexing it.

People will be able to search and no it doesn't cost.
Matt L

27th Mar 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cools will be doing that when i get in

someone said something about having stuff like key words somewhere (does that make anysense to you?)
as i dont think i have anything like that
John

27th Mar 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a section at the top of the html you can put keywords in to help with searching on google but i'm not that up on whats good these days.

Have a look for Search Engine Optimization.
Matt L

27th Mar 09 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill probably ask planty about that
Sam
Premium Member

27th Mar 09 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Download this document: http://www.seomoz.org/user_files/SEO_Web_Developer_Cheat_Sheet.pdf
Matt L

27th Mar 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and another stupid one, any changes i make after ie with the words stuff that sam linked me to... wont affect it will it once its submitted (ie google not having the upto date copy.)
Bart

27th Mar 09 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt,
You dont need to submit your website to google since it will find/index your site within hours (litterally).
That was used many years ago and its not really relevant anymore.
If you want to submit your site which will be worthwhile, I suggest the The Open Directory. (make sure you read up how to do it first), alot of search engines such as yahoo, lycos etc use DMOZ for their results.

The best thing you can do is ensure you have good content, no mistakes (bad links, spelling mistakes), this will help your position.

If you want to be found for a particular word/phrase, ensure you talk about it alot in your website, alot. In the headers, in the meta data and in the main content.

good luck
Sam
Premium Member

27th Mar 09 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
You dont need to submit your website to google since it will find/index your site within hours (litterally).
That was used many years ago and its not really relevant anymore.

If he has a brand new website that is not linked to from a website that Google knows about, then how will Google have found his site?

quote:
If you want to submit your site which will be worthwhile, I suggest the The Open Directory. (make sure you read up how to do it first), alot of search engines such as yahoo, lycos etc use DMOZ for their results.

Google themselves also use DMOZ.

quote:
The best thing you can do is ensure you have good content, no mistakes (bad links, spelling mistakes), this will help your position.

If you want to be found for a particular word/phrase, ensure you talk about it alot in your website, alot. In the headers, in the meta data and in the main content.

good luck

In addition to that, search engine friendly URLs (i.e. http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/general-chat/ rather than http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5), and a lot of pages on your website (all interlinked) as well as an XML sitemap also help.
Bart

28th Mar 09 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

If he has a brand new website that is not linked to from a website that Google knows about, then how will Google have found his site?

Sorry, I didnt really explain that too good, was going on the basis that he would be setting up the basic things such as Google Sitemaps, Google Analytics.
Even still, Google can/will find your site via other methods, tracking other traffic/people to/from your site and by the use of DNS zones.

quote:

Google themselves also use DMOZ.

Are you sure? I thought they stopped using it along time ago and used their own directory? Im almost certain it does not use DMOZ anymore for its search database.

The above tools are very useful, I recommend them Matt

[Edited on 28-03-2009 by Bart]
Sam
Premium Member

28th Mar 09 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Google directory is actually just listings from DMOZ, but Google add their page ranks to the results as well, and sort them by PR order (when looking at the category as opposed to returned search results).

For example, type in "corsagsi.co.uk" into DMOZ and Google Directory:

DMOZ results
Google Directory results

You will see the results have the same descriptions. Also if you look at the bottom of http://directory.google.com/ you will see references to DMOZ as well.

New Poll