corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mumps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mumps
K2 GTi

User status: Offline
31st Mar 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone had it? I had a swelling to my face 2 weeks ago and was really ill. Doctor told me it was a swallen gland , took some tablets and happy days. Today 2 of my mates went doctors with the same thing and they have been told its mumps. Can this cause meningitas or something? I aint got no swelling anymore, but think I should just go docs anyway instead of posting on cs lol?

Saying that this site gives you info on anything anyway
fir3vip3r

31st Mar 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheres fraser young
Cosmo

31st Mar 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its bad aids
K2 GTi

31st Mar 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno, but will wait to hear from him
DannyB
Premium Member

31st Mar 09 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had mumps a few years back, really painfull when you try to eat/chew/smile and you look like a twat because your cheeks/neck is swollen to buggery.
Fraser Young

31st Mar 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mumps is a viral illness, that does in most instances cause unilateral swollen parotid glands. (Nothing to do with meningitis so don't worry!)

Theres nothing particularly special about it setting it apart from oral viral illnesses. Being a virus there is no treatment or cure e.g. Antibiotic therapy.

The only thing to note particularly is that there is a chance of spread to the testicles. Again causing pain and swelling.

I would recommend drinking plenty fluids, pain killers and rest. If very swollen ice pack over the gland for 10 mins at a time.

A key point to note is as you've alluded to it is Very contagious indeed and can be passed on quite easily. So important to take time off work etc until symptoms clear. (though given the time its gone on for you are probably past the contagious stage)

It is of course, entirely possible that you have a swollen gland for another reason due to a vague virus going around. And that 2 of your friends happen to have mumps..
fir3vip3r

31st Mar 09 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so there we have it. check your balls.
loubielou

31st Mar 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not too much you can do about it, just be careful what you eat and drink as some things may irritate it.

take some paracetamol or something, might help if its painful
K2 GTi

31st Mar 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fraser i've been fine for over a week now. But the past few days they've been saying they getting a pain at the side of their face and they both now have it. Can I catch it again? I don't have swollen balls, or any pains, so I hope my manlyhood is okay. So yeah, can I catch it again? And would I still be carrying it nearly 2 weeks after the swelling has gone down? Thanks for the reply
loubielou

31st Mar 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unlikely youll get it again
Fraser Young

31st Mar 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While one cant say a definitive no.

If you have had mumps, and are getting over it. You'll have developed immunity to the viral challenge you've had.

It's likely you would be immune.have some degree of immunity in any event.
(Out of Academic interest, Did you have your MMR vaccination when at school?)

In terms of passing it on roughly a week after the start of your swelling symptoms you are probably NOT going to pass it on thereafter. Due to reasons of immunity mentioned above.
K2 GTi

31st Mar 09 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I had jab at school, but still got mumps by the looks of it. The girl I was seeing also had it, and I got it after her. (i just thought it was some swollen gland). But I went hospital, and emergency doctors as my face was like a balloon and both doctors could hardly speak English and couldn't care less!! I could of been dying !! But aslong as there's nothing else that can happen to me, and i'm not gonna die just yet I suppose its all good. But because mumps is associated with rubela and measals will I get that? I had measels as a kid too, so should be ok from that?
DannyB
Premium Member

31st Mar 09 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My face went like this, but on both sides.

This is just a random google pic btw.

K2 GTi

31st Mar 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mine was like that.. i could of passed it round to work shouldn't be laughing lol, but they told me to stay work so...
Fraser Young

31st Mar 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah they're not really associated, completely separate viruses. So you'd have to be extremely++ unlucky to develop a further infection from a separate cause!

It's just that the vaccinations are given in one out of ease and due to complex (outdated) public health and disease statistics to protect against common illnesses.

Though I concede, in the wake of Wakefield (the guy who slated the MMR vaccine re autism incorrectly) people have stopped getting it and these diseases are on the increase.
Ben G

31st Mar 09 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had mumps a couple years back.

hurt like hell to eat and i looked like a fooking hamster

was worried about spreading to my balls so just rested for a couple of weeks until the swelling in my throat went down.
K2 GTi

31st Mar 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

come to think of it when i talk there is something on my left side of my face still... Prob just para now lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mumps 23 database queries in 0.0141909 seconds