corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Headgasket Away? Newbie Help Please!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headgasket Away? Newbie Help Please!!
14LS

User status: Offline
11th Apr 09 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi gals n Girls,

Firstle GREAT site, just discovered it yesterday - same day i get my first Corsa!!

Bought an R reg 1.4 5 Door LS 5 speed, 8V Hi Torq. 57,000 on it and immaculate.

Got home yesterday after driving it home, and looked under the oil cap - COVERED in creamy mayonaise, and the gap where you put the oil in was FULL of it, looked like a best Marks and Spencers Creme Brulee!!! Naturally i scooped it all out and cleaned it.

I have looked in the expansion tank, and on the dipstick - no trace just nice and clean, the car did not overheat on the run home and is driving very well.

It was an elderly person that had the car and has done lots of short runs, the oil could do with a change too.

Ill need to monitor it to see if its using any coolant, but do people think its away (in view of the ammount of mayo) or will it be that the oils needing changed and its condensation in the oil due to the short journeys?

With me the car will be getting a 75 mile round trip per day.

If the H/G is away im not bothered as its going in for a full service and timing belt in the next couple of weeks so ill get it done too, but do peeps think its away?

Regards

14ls

[Edited on 11-04-2009 by 14LS]

[Edited on 11-04-2009 by 14LS]
tomo9992

11th Apr 09 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hiya mate welcome to the sight.

this happened to my mate car, he had loads of creamy shit in the cap, we cleaned it out, and it never came back.

so now you've cleaned it out just see how it goes, if it comes back, then get it done.

also what colour is the smoke from the exhaust when you start it from cold? and is it had to start?
barneykarl

11th Apr 09 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet its done lots of town work condensation build up , change oil, filter and give it a good blast, welcome to the site also.
14LS

11th Apr 09 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that mate, VERY much appreciated. Fingers crossed it doesent come back. Cars easy peasy to start, first turn of the key its away, and the smoke is slightly white until the chokes off as normal and seems fine after that.
14LS

11th Apr 09 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

barneykarl - cheers mate

First Corsa - loving it and have no idea why i didnt get one years ago!!!!
tomo9992

11th Apr 09 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 14LS
Cheers for that mate, VERY much appreciated. Fingers crossed it doesent come back. Cars easy peasy to start, first turn of the key its away, and the smoke is slightly white until the chokes off as normal and seems fine after that.

sounds all ok then, prob just condensation
14LS

11th Apr 09 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, minds a bit more at rest now, fingers a crossed!!!
14LS

13th Apr 09 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Starting to think it is away. Is this normal? Every day i wipe away a wee bit of mayonaise, so its crystal clean, drive the car, check when i next stop the car and the wee bits back again! Can this be normal?
moka

13th Apr 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines been doing this for about 2 years now... im forever cleaning mayo from the oil cap. People told me its probably condensation but i do 70-80 miles a day (work).
14LS

13th Apr 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Moka, im guessing if the cars running fine, theres no mayo on the dipstick or in expansion tank, and it doesent overheat then just live with it do peeps think?
barneykarl

13th Apr 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as you keep your oil and coolant at the correct level and they stay at that level for a long time you have nothing to worry about, check oil,coolant , brake fluid once a week.
14LS

13th Apr 09 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, just going to monitor it and live with it!! If the car stays like it has been, ie running perfectly, ill just keep it going!!!
Richardhhha

13th Apr 09 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the car hot and take it on a very long run mid to high rpm to keep the temperature up should burn off most of the crappy mayo.

whip the cam cover off clean it out and give the car a good oil and filter change (i use engine flush but a lot of peeps dont lke using them each to there own)

keep an eye on it but i dought its a head gasket thats gone..
moka

13th Apr 09 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just out of interest whats the worst that can happen if it does go? Like i said mines been like that for a couple of years now and i travel ALOT and it has recently had an oil change / flush.
14LS

13th Apr 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replys folks, appreciated

New Poll