corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » would these be safe

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author would these be safe
c20kenny

User status: Offline
17th Apr 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would these type of bolts be safe to use for my bottom arms. as iam using a spacer kit but the bolts never came with them. my only concern really is getting them tight enough.

[Edited on 17-04-2009 by c20kenny]
Ste
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NO

Minimum 8.8 tensile strength. Also use a hex head or you will struggle to get the required torque.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, they aren't bolts.

The are mistakenly called coach bolts but are actually coach screws.

A bolt has a shank that is unthreaded, a set screw is threded all the way. If you go into an engineering supplies to get them you will need to ask for the correct item.

You need to measure how long it needs to be and also leave at least 5mm of thread out the end of a nyloc nut. Bolts and sets come in 5mm intervals so you would be asking for an M10 x 55 set screw for example. Also ask for it BZP, that is the zinc coating that stops them rusting as quick.

[Edited on 17-04-2009 by Ste W]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
c20kenny

17th Apr 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive tryed to get them but they say they dont come long enough only 2 inch and i need 3.5
Nic Barnes

17th Apr 09 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where you trying to get them from? thomas graham not do such things?
c20kenny

17th Apr 09 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats were i went but the said they only come in 2 inch. i carnt think of any more places like that round here.
Ste
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask for M10 x 90 bzp set screw and nyloc

Nic Barnes

17th Apr 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do they not do longer ones? then chop the end off?
Ste
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's assuming it is a 10mm hole, they are only a few pence each so if you don't know what size you want, just buy a selection.

Ste
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you saying they don't do the coach bolts long enough or the correct set screws? You need to find a better supplier tbh

c20kenny

17th Apr 09 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought the kit from greggsi and thourt they wuold of come in the package as in the pic

[Edited on 17-04-2009 by c20kenny]
Ste
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That picture shows bolts. you can buy 50 of them for 8 quid in screwfix tbh

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17047/Bolts/Bolts/Bolt-BZP-High-Tensile-Steel-M10-x-100mm-Pack-of-50

[Edited on 17-04-2009 by Ste W]

Nic Barnes

17th Apr 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i may even have some that would do it. i have a few tubs of random bolts. i will look later on if i get chance.
c20kenny

17th Apr 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so i need to go in and ask for m10 x 100mm high tensile steel bolts with nuts and washers.
c20kenny

17th Apr 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers nic
Ste
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by c20kenny
so i need to go in and ask for m10 x 100mm high tensile steel bolts with nuts and washers.

Yep, get nyloc nuts and they won't vibrate loose as long as you torque them up.

Nic Barnes

17th Apr 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah deffo nyloc ones.

New Poll