corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cat vs De-Cat vs Sports Cat

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cat vs De-Cat vs Sports Cat
supremefaulk

User status: Offline
19th Apr 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,
I was just wondering, which is the best really!
I am looking at doing my manifolds, so might as well do the cat too, as I have a cat back system already!
Im wary of a De-Cat as they are illegal arent they? If I got pulled over by a police man with it on, would he issue me with a fine or anything?
Also, is a sports cat that much better than a normal one?

Thanks!
Kris
luke85

19th Apr 09 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Performance wise its:

1) de cat
2) sports cat
3) regular cat

To be honest for the price Id fit a de cat, drove mine for about 3 years with it on and just had to put the cat on for the MOT. The chances of getting caught are pretty slim and even then Id say I didnt know it was illegal and take the £30 fine or whatever.

If you want to save a dolphin and sleep easy at night then get the sports cat
Phil_b

19th Apr 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a janspeed decat on and cant say i notice much difference, but maybe with more engine mods it helps, downside is my car stinks of petrol!
luke85

19th Apr 09 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could always notice the difference when i put the cat on for the MOT, was quite noticable
supremefaulk

19th Apr 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right, thats some good info, thanks guys!
I thought that a de-cat would be really obvious, as it makes the exhaust system stupidly loud?

I will have to have a think about this one then! Would like the performance of a decat, but if its gonna make my car really loud and obvious to the police, then dont really fancy it!
Phil_b

19th Apr 09 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt make it much louder, mine went slightly raspy but still got a sports centre section so isnt stupidly loud. can be pretty qiet when just cruising.
supremefaulk

19th Apr 09 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh, I think I get it now, a straight through pipe gets rid of the center silencer and thats what makes it stupidly loud is it?
As I have a scorpion back box and middle section already fitted, and its not very loud now, so a decat and 4-2-1 manifold will mostly just change the sound of the exhaust, and make it slightly louder?

That make sense?
Phil_b

19th Apr 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you got it! definately the centre section that keeps the noise down, might aswel do it every little derestriction helps
supremefaulk

19th Apr 09 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh, thats cool, emailing ebay sellers to see if any of them will cut me a deal on a manifold and de-cat now!

Also, whats the best way to make dirty stainless exhausts look good? My backbox is "stained" for lack of a better word!
Got all kinds of crud on it, that doesnt seem to want to come off!
Annoying me, as the rest of the car is gleaming thanks to my banana armour! haha

Thanks for your help
Phil_b

19th Apr 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs mate

haha i got a bargain with my janspeed decat £30 posted on ebay no1 else bidded on it so won for starting bid Go for the janspeed decat its a great price.

Ive got a 3.5 inch outward rolled stainless steel backbox and Megs all metal polish does a great job on it with some 0 grade wire wool if its really dirty. If you dont wana buy that im sure good old autosol would bring it up nice to.

supremefaulk

19th Apr 09 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a good idea with wire wool, as it needs a good cleaning before polishing really!
No idea whats on there, but it doesnt seem to want to come off!!

Big fan of megs stuff, so will probably get that!

What about Sportex then? are they any good? as they are slightly cheaper - which I like
or should I go with Janspeed?

Thanks again for the help Phil
supremefaulk

19th Apr 09 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know if you can see it that well, but thats the kind of stuff on the exhaust!
(old pic, car is actually clean now! haha)

[Edited on 19-04-2009 by supremefaulk]
Phil_b

19th Apr 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs fella.

That should come up fine but put some of the metal polish on with the wire wool, and rub until it goes shiny!

ive never had a sportex so couldnt say, i know there is problems with some manifolds hanging low which isnt good with a lowered car, but the janspeed one is fine. I'm buying one off my mate soon, we fitted it to his and it seems well made and really did make a difference to the power with his lexmaul on to!

maybe someone else can comment on the sportex, or do a search on them
supremefaulk

19th Apr 09 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news, will be polishing the exhaust soon then! Hopefully it will come up nice!

Just done a quick search on sportex, and cheap crap by the sounds of it, piper or janspeed de-cat is the way forward!
More expense, but probably worth it!

Right, thats all I needed to know now I think, thanks for the help mate, will post again with any findings probably!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

19th Apr 09 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Janspeed de-cat also has a silencer built in, so it'll stay quiet

It does stink of fuel though, which isn't good!
Phil_b

19th Apr 09 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt know it had a silencer in them....

definately get something that people rate, ive got the piper cat back system and love it

no probs glad i could help ya, good luck
swill_omnibus

19th Apr 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But i'd have thought with the whole back pressure issue a "sports cat" would be best of both worlds as their only 100CELL and still maintain some pressure in system?
supremefaulk

19th Apr 09 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats cool, I will keep looking for a piper or janspeed then!
Will keep my eye out for one with a silencer in it too! Thanks tom!

I would have thought that too steve, although the only sports cat I could find was a 200 cell one!
But I suppose that the exhaust gasses get "pushed" out of the engine by the piston goin up, so the less restriction the way out has, the better, so no cell cat would be better in that respect!
But a sports cat is probably more "stable"

Probably talking rubbish though! haha

New Poll