corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » FAO any sparkie's looooong post

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO any sparkie's looooong post
jamesw

User status: Offline
29th Apr 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, this is going to be long post. When I talked about electric tripping its the RCD the MCB's all stay on.

Not so long ago had loads of work done in kitchen - both building and electrical. I now have electrical problems - im guessing im going to have to get a sparkie out to have a look at things but any idea's whats going on? More info below.

Original wiring in kitchen was a mess so new ring put in but not actually wired into consumer unit ( as far as I know ). During this time boiler and fridge etc where running from sockets in the front room. All was well until the day we had the floor level'd. When he plugged boiler back in ( to same extention going to same sockets as previous the leccy kept tripping. He rang me and explained he would leave it unplugged while the floor dries and all should be OK after.

Floor dried and sparkie came for a look - couldnt get the damn thing to trip - used tester on the extention and flagged up a fault on a socket in the front room - it was L & N reversed in the socket ( my bad - changed the socket some time ago and have obviously cocked up ).

Days after leccy is tripping intermitently while boiler is on. Eventually noticed AAV was leaking in boiler - this since sorted and a lot better.

Finally new ring in kitchen gets wired up and even better but still the odd trip. Strange as sometimes it could go 3 days, then all of a sudden trip say 4 times in 10 mins ( no extra appliances on or things on timers either ).

Next thing we notice is cant use hoover as power trips, then noticed if we unplug the boiler the hoover works fine ( just turning boiler off doesnt wrk it needs to be unplugged ). This to me says fault in boiler. Opened up boiler - hoover only works if I unplug 3 plugs going to PCB - one of these being the timer on front of the boiler? Any combo of these 3 plugged in and hoover on trips.

All well and good I think need to get boiler looked at. Then notice some earths under the sink that used to be bonded to hot and cold pipes - bonded these on and thought nothing of it.

Week later try hoover with boiler on for shits and giggles and it works! Wasnt convinced this wasnt a fluke so tried turning on and off four or five times. Tried removing earth bond on hot and cold pipes hoping this would trip it so im confident I know what it is - this didnt trip it. Attached them and tried it another 5 times works fine.

Think OK maybe all OK - remember when I put boiler back together I put the timer back on upside down - I corrected this then bang - hover dont work again. Unplugged boiler all together hoover still not working?1

Unplug everything in the house and hoover works - it seems random combo's of things plugged in it trips, say all of a sudden I can plug fridge in and this will make hoover trip - but if I then unplug the fridge damn things still trips.

Today desperate to hoover downstairs - went upstairs to get little hoover that works up there. If this is plugged in front room it trips - if its plugged in kitchen it works - same things happens with lawn mower.
ash_corsa

29th Apr 09 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be an over sensitive 30ma RCD mate, have you tried replacing it?
Iv'e had these weird problems before, they're a nightmare to find sometimes.

Are you even sure its the Kitchen ring tripping the RCD, try taking everything else off the RCD side of the board (assuming its a split-load dis board) and just running the kitchen protected by the RCD. See how it goes.
Could be another ciruit in the house tripping it.

Failing that a full inspection/test by a qualified spark should uncover any problem areas, full R1+R2 tests, insulation resistance and earth loop impedance tests on all circuits, may cost you a few quid unless you know someone with the proper gear (17th ed tester, 2391 test + inspection etc..)

C2RL R

30th Apr 09 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would definately start at the RCD. what make is it? i don't do much domestic work but i've heard of a few instances of poor quality RCD's tripping for no reason.
jamesw

30th Apr 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was hoping it would be as simple as RCD but its been there the whole two years I have and been OK since kitchen done. No idea what ring is tripping it - is a rather old Hager CU - its all covered by single RCD. Are the RCD's that fit inside the CU's all standard fittings? I know my old man's RCD when he was next door was external but this is into the CU all semi modern ones seem to be.
ash_corsa

30th Apr 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah your old man's would have been an add-on at a later date, usually when a shower is fitted.

Try the RCD mate, its definetly not unheard of for an RCD to become over sensitive. Note down any numbers on the front and go to an electrical wholesaler and replace with the same Hager RCD.

Failing that its a full test mate. Hope this helps

New Poll