corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fibreglass bonnet repairs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fibreglass bonnet repairs
DAZ1985

User status: Offline
26th May 09 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The damage

has anyone got any tips on how to do it?

I've aquired the bonnet for free, so worth a try to sort it out
john_c20xe

26th May 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the bonnet made like?
is in a thin skin or has it got structure underneath?
easy if its a think skin just repair it from underneath and sand down the top and filler it
DAZ1985

26th May 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its got a cross bar in the middle of it but not the full ineer skin type thing
RichR
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd lay several layers of CSM fibreglass (as comes in the kits from Halfords and the like) across the bottom of the bonnet. 1 or maybe 2 plys at a time, no more or you'll get too high an exothermic reaction from the resin. Ensure the underside of the bonnet is scratched up before applying the fibreglass.

On the top I'd take a grinder or dremel down the split line to remove all of the split ends/exposed glass, then use p40 to fill any deeper holes and skim with filler (p38). Use wet and dry to sand back to a good finish and repeat as necessary before putting a bit of paint over the top.
DAZ1985

27th May 09 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll give that a try cheers

Not sure abut the filler stuff p38 though as i always thought it would crack
RichR
Premium Member

27th May 09 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, only if its put on too thickly; its a surface filler so should be used sparingly to give the final finish; you won't achieve a finish with fibreglass alone.

Also ensure it is fully dry after wet/drying it and let all the mositure fully dry out of it before painting. THat way the paint will take and you'll get an almost perfect finish
DAZ1985

27th May 09 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like a stopper type of filler? fine stuff?

Will be left to dry for a few days, when i eventually get round to doing it

What paint is recomended as the bonnet will have abit of flex in it, its already crazed but that might be due to poor handling
RichR
Premium Member

27th May 09 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm no paint expert but I'd user a paint with a plasticiser in it - something like the filler primer should be fine as its a plastic primer as well as a filler primer.

P38 will be fine as a filler, although if you wanted a bit, I've got some fine surface filler knocking about; quite difficult to get hold of but you could use some of that if you wanted.
DAZ1985

27th May 09 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great cheers ill bear that in mind, thanks for the help ill be making a list of bits i need when i get round to doing it

New Poll