corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I wish F1 would cars were like this again.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I wish F1 would cars were like this again.
J da Silva

User status: Offline
9th Jun 09 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4WlfWKmpEs

Discuss...

[Edited on 09-06-2009 by J da Silva]
BluKoo

9th Jun 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No discussion needed. I totally agree.
Dom

9th Jun 09 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Impressive skill and a little weird seeing an F1 driver using a shifter
Anyone know when this was? (it looks like the late 80s, 89 perhaps).
BluKoo

9th Jun 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus, for a second there I thought Cosmo was back.

[Edited on 09-06-2009 by BluKoo]
Adam_B

9th Jun 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

F1 is the peak of Motorsport, in my opinion it should be the peak of technology as well. However embracing technology and keeping the racing entertaining is obviously dificult.
mwg

9th Jun 09 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They were good but you cant live in the past. I like the modern ones.
BluKoo

9th Jun 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there are too many rules on F1 though.

They should just be allowed to spend as much as the want, and make their cars as powerful as the drivers can handle.
mwg

9th Jun 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with that one. Everything should be the best it possibly can be, no budget cap, no engine size, bhp or rev limits, do what the hell you like!

But then it really would be all down to the car than the driver, even more so than it has been this season! Its a tough one to weigh up whats for the best
richc

9th Jun 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
I think there are too many rules on F1 though.

They should just be allowed to spend as much as the want, and make their cars as powerful as the drivers can handle.

Tbf though, they would be running around with 2000 bhp

I think its a good idea. Because the little teams never ever win anything, and they never have a chance from the off! They just aint got the same extent of technology.

Nick-S

9th Jun 09 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They need to bring back the v10s and v12 aswell as haveing v8s. so not every car sounds the same.
J da Silva

9th Jun 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
I agree with that one. Everything should be the best it possibly can be, no budget cap, no engine size, bhp or rev limits, do what the hell you like!

But then it really would be all down to the car than the driver, even more so than it has been this season! Its a tough one to weigh up whats for the best

I personally would like to see all the teams using the same spec cars, then it would be driver skill that wins races and not the designers.

Nick-S

9th Jun 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
F1 is the peak of Motorsport, in my opinion it should be the peak of technology as well. However embracing technology and keeping the racing entertaining is obviously dificult.
tbh the williams fw15c was the peak of technology (active suspension, traction control, abs ect ect) and they dont use any of that now.
mwg

9th Jun 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
quote:
Originally posted by Matty G

I personally would like to see all the teams using the same spec cars, then it would be driver skill that wins races and not the designers.

That would be good too yes.... theres so many ways they could go with it!

I would like to see the most talented drivers shine but at the same time I also like the way teams can develop a car and leave the others for dust.

You cant have it all unfortunately!
AndyKent

9th Jun 09 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best idea I heard was for the manufacturers to stay as they were but for drivers to rotate around driving all the cars a few times over the course of the season - would really show who the best driver was and who had made the best car.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

9th Jun 09 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never mind the car just wish Senna was still about! Wonder if his nephew will make it into F1 in a season or two.

Too many rules in F1 and taking the fun out of the sport will all the goings on behind the scenes.

Shows how shocking the safety was back then also!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Marc

9th Jun 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva

Suppose thats the attraction of A1 GP. Will never be as big as F1 though.
fir3vip3r

9th Jun 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A1 gp is for driver skill... and no one watches that..

id rather see a showcase for what the greatest brains in motorsport could achieve...
J da Silva

9th Jun 09 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I watch A1 more enthusiastically than F1 but A1 cars aren't supposed to have the power that the F1 cars do.
Driving a manualled race car doesn't just involved moving your hand about with a stick, there is more to think about, your reaction times are more tested, there is a lot to deal with in a manual shift car than in one where to change gear you just tap your finger.
22B

9th Jun 09 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree F1 was a lot better in the 80's and 90's, the lack of overtaking has always been an issue with the cars relying a lot more on aero packages than outright power and good mechanical grip. Which means cars cant follow closely without getting the dirty air from the car infront.

I think the current rules are good, not perfect, you get to see the best engineers constantly finding loopholes and pushing the spirit of the rules to the maximum( the double decker diffuser, being the most recent instance of this)

Its incredible to think that the engines are only 2.4 V8s and rev limited to 18,000 rpm and run a standard ECU which all the teams use, and yet they still develop massive power. And also there was an engine freeze a few years back where only reliability modifications could be made upon approval from the FIA.

I do miss the 3.0 V10's as the noise was awesome to hear, especially the Mercedes V10, and the drivers also miss them, saying that the older engines were a lot more flexible in terms of torque and power delivery.

The problem is the FIA are trying to make formula one more sustainable, cost cutting and engine freezes and rules to make the cars slower, like giving the cars slick tyres(more mechanical grip) but reducing aerodynamics in an attempt to bring more overtaking, but it hasnt really worked.
22B

9th Jun 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love this video, Monaco 2004, just listen to that V10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR2Rf9F40DA&feature=related

[Edited on 09-06-2009 by 22B]
jonnysri

9th Jun 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 22B
love this video, Monaco 2004, just listen to that V10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR2Rf9F40DA&feature=related

[Edited on 09-06-2009 by 22B]

monaco's my fave F1 race. i shit myself watching that at the speed and how close they get to the barriers lol
Adam_B

9th Jun 09 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It always amazes me how fast modern F1 cars change direction, the G-forces must be pretty insane!
lee303

9th Jun 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trouble with one make races are that the best drivers are so close in their outright pace, that the racing would be very very boring, 'i'm gonna outbrake him here, but hang on, i can't as we have the same tyres, bakes and car!' it only works in the lower catgories like a1 gp as the drivers are not the very best in the business, if you had a one make in f1 it would purely be about who could be the most consistent, not the most skillfull
oh, and if they let the teams do what they want, the driver would be obsolete in no time, the williams car that had active suspension so it could actually lean into a corner could have gone without a driver,and would eventually have been faster and more consistent than a manned one
22B

9th Jun 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
It always amazes me how fast modern F1 cars change direction, the G-forces must be pretty insane!

think its around 3.5 to 4g in cornering and similar under breaking, absolutely phenominal

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I wish F1 would cars were like this again. 24 database queries in 0.3187020 seconds