corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » top gear sunday

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author top gear sunday
Pete_vxl

User status: Offline
29th Jun 09 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always hated the F1, still do. Glad the veyron won but i was surprised as how slow it was actually getting upto speed, could just be the driver though. I'm sure if you got rid of all the bugattis luxurys it would easily beat the F1
fir3vip3r

29th Jun 09 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they even said the F1 is a race car for the road whereas the veryron is desgined to be a superfast road car...

of course an f1 will go round a track faster, but im pretty sure i know which car, will be more refined, quiet, relaxing etc..

just because there both fast cars doesnt mean there designed to do the same thing
flybikeslee

29th Jun 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watching on iplayer now, mums cars and insurance PMSL
Hammer

29th Jun 09 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'd still prefer the F1, always loved that car.
MoesTavern

29th Jun 09 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
they even said the F1 is a race car for the road whereas the veryron is desgined to be a superfast road car...

of course an f1 will go round a track faster, but im pretty sure i know which car, will be more refined, quiet, relaxing etc..

just because there both fast cars doesnt mean there designed to do the same thing

Pretty sure the F1 isn't a 'race car for the road' otherwise McLaren wouldn't have bothered with the luggage space or having 3 seats etc, it was designed to be the ultimate road car just like the Veyron.
Daimo B

29th Jun 09 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the McLaren was built FOR the road, and was turned into a race car with the additions.

hence why Whitemarsh was so critical of the Bugatti when it first came out. Spending millions, 10 years development, all on a car, simply to beat the McLarens top speed, when the McLaren was never designed to be a super top speed car that it was.

Was only meant to have around 550bhp odd as well..... But BMW come up with a blinding engine.

Pete_vxl

29th Jun 09 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as much as i hate the car i would love a gold engine bay!! i would only employ VXRMarc to clean it.
Dom

29th Jun 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brother has the McLaren F1 book, absolute brilliant read. But yeah, the F1 was built, like the veyron, to be the ultimate no-money-spared road car. There's also a bit in the book about how another manufacturer (can't remember who) were designing something similar and McLaren stating that the BMW engine could easily reach 1000bhp with tweaks - now that would be impressive

VXR - the original engine was suppose to come from Honda IIRC

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by Dom]
Daimo B

29th Jun 09 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pete - Thats gold plated. But its not the only thing, the whole car is made of of non perishable parts, so basically, as long as its serviced and maintained as per McLarens specifications, it should never rust or fall apart!!!!!!!! The Bugatti, for as much as I love its technological achievments, is something waiting to go wrong in some way So many parts.

I do love the Veyron for what it is though. Jump in, fire it up, pop to the shops, come home again, do that every single day in the Veyron.

Mclaren is a little harder (from reports).

Dom, yeah, well those engines were running 750+bhp in LIMITED form. By that I mean airflow restrictors as they do in current GT racing (well most forms of racing). Remove the restrictors, and i'd agree 1000bhp could be possible... Its still one of the highest powered NA road car engines produced, and its 15 years old!!!!!!!!!!! (ok the new Lambos maybe, but that engines had 30+ years development).

Love both cars for their own things. I honestly giggled like a school girl when the McLaren pulled in front.... No denying the Veyrons top end though!!!!
sand-eel

29th Jun 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

8 litres
x4 turbochargers
V12
1000+bhp
530bhp per tonne

W16
Scotty_B

29th Jun 09 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

I honestly giggled like a school girl when the McLaren pulled in front.... No denying the Veyrons top end though!!!!

Same here, my heart was also pounding!!!!

The Veryons top speed isn't that much more impressive than the F1. 10mph at that speed isn't much is it especially given the F1 lower power.
Daimo B

29th Jun 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

W16

Typo, still dribbling over the V12....

Is that all you could pick out of that info though.......
mwg

29th Jun 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorSRi_BT
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

I honestly giggled like a school girl when the McLaren pulled in front.... No denying the Veyrons top end though!!!!

The Veryons top speed isn't that much more impressive than the F1. 10mph at that speed isn't much is it especially given the F1 lower power.

10mph at that speed is a lot IMO. Hasn't someone mentioned this before on how much power is needed to do X speed then you need so much more to do Y speed etc. etc.
Daimo B

29th Jun 09 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is an awful lot....

But how long you gonna be sitting at 240, let alone 250mph

And something to rule the Veyron out totally, is that Yank effort, the one that done 255mph, faster than the Veyron, on 1/10th of the budget, with a twin turbocharged old skool V8 engine.......

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by VXR]
sand-eel

29th Jun 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
quote:
Originally posted by CorSRi_BT
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

10mph at that speed is a lot IMO. Hasn't someone mentioned this before on how much power is needed to do X speed then you need so much more to do Y speed etc. etc.

Air resistance increases exponentially with speed.
mwg

29th Jun 09 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
It is an awful lot....

And something to rule the Veyron out totally, is that Yank effort, the one that done 255mph, faster than the Veyron, on 1/10th of the budget, with a twin turbocharged old skool V8 engine.......

As you've said before you could probably drive the Veyron everyday if you wished and be perfectly happy. You most probably couldn't with that american thing.

Thats what I think is so great about it. The fact it can go so fast yet its (relatively) useable. Its not a one trick pony
Scotty_B

29th Jun 09 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VXR
It is an awful lot....

As you've said before you could probably drive the Veyron everyday if you wished and be perfectly happy. You most probably couldn't with that american thing.

Thats what I think is so great about it. The fact it can go so fast yet its (relatively) useable. Its not a one trick pony

True it's a fantastic car, does everything brilliantly but it is one ugly mofo and for that reasons I'm out.
Leighton

29th Jun 09 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

29th Jun 09 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VXR
It is an awful lot....

It's the SSC Ultimate Aero TT (256.18mph >here<, Veyron was 253.81mph) and like said its a lot cheaper (roughly £292k) and looks just as usable -

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by Dom]
mwg

29th Jun 09 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes a race harness, a helmet in the passenger seat, low side skirts and low front bumper screams to me a car that you could use everyday

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by Matty G]
Dom

29th Jun 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yes a race harness, a helmet in the passenger seat, low side skirts and low front bumper screams to me a car that you could use everyday

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by Matty G]

No different to a Lambo (with regards to the skirt and bumper) and the harness is nothing considering people with corsa's use them day in day out.
And the helmet, christ ....come on! By that you're saying the Veyron would be deemed unpractical if a photo was taken of the interior with a helmet in shot! FPMSL

I'm not arguing that the Veyron isn't a great car, especially with regards to the used technology, but i don't understand how everyone believes that it's this great one and only supercar - it's not.
mwg

29th Jun 09 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is the best though innit
AlunJ

29th Jun 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prefer a veyron over american shit tbh
ryzer

30th Jun 09 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammond: no crashes in the last 5 years
liamC

30th Jun 09 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watched the Lambo and F1 v Veyron on YouTube - Awesome!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SYY5Zn-Ew0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlbvxd0Q10

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » top gear sunday 23 database queries in 0.0160098 seconds