corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » just bin and bought a 50mm 1.8 and....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author just bin and bought a 50mm 1.8 and....
Matt L

User status: Offline
   11th Jul 09 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought it from jessops for a whole £88 (i know its cheaper online but atleast with jessops i can take it back for a full refund if i dont like it which.... tbh i dont )

had it 30mins and tbh i see its appeal for indoor use with it being 1.8 but the dof is so shallow at that, taking a picture of someones face would leave the nose in focus and the face out of focus i feel (yet to try a portrait) but just bin messing around with some model cars and the front was in focus and the rest out so not really what i wanted/thought it would be like.

The motor is STUPIDLY noisy imo so thats another downer on the lense. and tbf this bit could be my fault for possibly being a bit too close to the subject but it felt like it really stuggled to focus on things.

benifits imo - EPIC backgruond blur, beats standard 18-55 for background blur (to be expected), good for low light indoor use.

downsides - noisy, slow, to shallow dof (imo) at 1.8, obviously with it being 50mm you do need a bit of space to use it which limits indoor use.

all in all im not sold on it so far, so i can see me taking it back shortly

admitedly this is a very quick review/opinion on it and i havent really got much use of it to really back up my views of it, but my first thoughts on it are i dont like it .
AndyKent

11th Jul 09 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Canon one? I've got the same and whilst its a nice lens, I don't use it much as I find it a bit inflexible only being 50mm.

You'd find the DOF not quite so shallow if you focus on something further away, but obviously its then small in the frame.

Bit of an odd lens really, but you want to see the quality of shots on a full frame camera - razor sharp
Whittie

11th Jul 09 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 50mm f1.4 is my favourite lens.

As for the noise you keep getting, is your setup correct? Shots came out lovely on my D300.
Simon

11th Jul 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact that this lens is so cheap says that its not going to be perfect but it's pretty damn good for the money. I like using it solely, think it teaches you about good composition when you are limited to a fixed focal length
Doug

11th Jul 09 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cannon 50mm is a nasty lens. Its very cheap and it shows.

The Nikon versions are much nicer
mantamark

11th Jul 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like it, can get some nice shots.

Not my best, but i still quite like the overal look of the shot

Gaz

12th Jul 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
The cannon 50mm is a nasty lens. Its very cheap and it shows.

The Nikon versions are much nicer

typical...

The nifty is a good lens, I've taken many a shot with mine.
Few things you need to remember:
Move your feet to get to a better position - dont be lazy like a zoom
whilst 1.8 is shallow, it still gets mashed up by 1.4's / 1.2's and even a 1.0 (does Nikon have one of those yet?? I have seen Nikkor though)
The 50mm is a cheap and cheerful lens - enjoy it

I do feel though that £88 is a litle much when as you say, online is cheaper and YOU DO still get the return and warrenty benifits that jessops give you
Adam_B

12th Jul 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont really understand? Your moaning because the depth of field is dead shallow then you praise it for background blur, its the same thing? If the DOF is too shallow, make the aperture smaller, you dont have to use it at F1.8 all the time just because it can do it.

Oh and when taking a photo of a person focus on the eye nearest the lens, not the end of the nose.

Agree with the AF though, its noisy and slow and probably the main reason i dont use mine that much. However I find the end results are much crisper than a similar priced lens, like the 18-55 kit.

Id stick with it and give it chance, force yourself to use it and try and ignore its faults because you really can get some cracking images with it.
Ste L

12th Jul 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
(does Nikon have one of those yet?? I have seen Nikkor though)

Nikkor IS Nikon
Scotty_B

13th Jul 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The optimum aperture for the 1.8 is around F8-10. It's super sharp at these settings. At 1.8 you need to be careful and should only be used if you're really struggling.
John

13th Jul 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this the same canon 50mm prime that gets praise from everybody else?

It's an excellent lens, not just for the price but in general.
AndyKent

13th Jul 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, the 'nifty fifty'.

Considering selling mine tbh.
Graham88

13th Jul 09 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the price you can't moan tbh, I bought mine new for about £70, don't use it much but it can come in handy
JonnyJ

13th Jul 09 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its one of those lenses you would be silly not to have have.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » just bin and bought a 50mm 1.8 and.... 24 database queries in 0.0153708 seconds