corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sales of Good Act - Question (essay)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sales of Good Act - Question (essay)
Dom

User status: Offline
13th Jul 09 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a Corsair PSU from Overclockers just under 13months ago (13 June 08) and today when i went to switch the PC on, an audible pop was heard and a few sparks came out of the PSU (had the case off luckily).

Anyways, i posted over on OCUK forums to question about RMA'ing the unit back to OCUK or Corsair, and they said that it would have to be RMA'd to Corsair in Holland - ie: I’m going to have to fork out £25/30 quid for the privilege of sending a duff unit back.

Whilst, packing it up the old man said something about the Sales of Goods Act and another EU law that came in (1999) stating that consumers have actually 2 years warranty with retailer (or 6 years in the UK and 5 in Scotland).
I thought this was a little odd, so phone up Consumer Direct and the Trading Standards and although it was correct about this EU law, apparently guarantees/warranties don't come into it and i should be able to return the PSU to Overclockers for repairs/replacement under the Sales of Good Act with regards to the unit failing outside of a reasonable timescale (ie: both person believed that the PSU should have lasted a lot longer than 13months).
So with this i phoned OCUK support and the guy refused to acknowledge the Sales of Goods Act and was adamant that it would have to be returned to Corsair in Holland. However he said that Corsair would 100% refund the costs of postage - which is a little far fetched.

I have contact Corsair, but as of yet haven’t heard anything.

But can anyone shed any light on this and where i stand? As Consumer Direct and Trading Standards say that I’m legally entitled to get OCUK to repair or replace the unit, yet OCUK don't really want to know.

Update - Corsair don't offer refunds on postage, so it seems OCUK support guy was telling porkies!

[Edited on 13-07-2009 by Dom]
BarnshaW

13th Jul 09 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work for LG electronics company and i can confirm that companies do not HAVE to conform to this stupid european 2 year warranty everyone is going on about.

your sales contract is with Overclockers. although what was the warranty you was sold with the PSU?

[Edited on 13-07-2009 by BarnshaW]
ChrisBoom

13th Jul 09 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not related, but a while back a PSU i got from ebuyer blew up, sent it back, they gave me 3 refunds (£88odd each) and sent me 2 new identical PSUs

Returned one, sold the other, bought a better PSU and a xbox360
Dom

13th Jul 09 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
i work for LG electronics company and i can confirm that companies do not HAVE to conform to this stupid european 2 year warranty everyone is going on about.

your sales contract is with Overclockers. although what was the warranty you was sold with the PSU?

[Edited on 13-07-2009 by BarnshaW]

Corsair ship a 5 year warranty, however i have to ship it back to Holland which is going to cost me £25/30 quid which i think is a bit unfair.

I've read around about Directive 1999/44/EC (the EU Law) and it deals with conformity rather than the durability of the product, so it's a bit of a grey area.
However, from my understanding and what i was told by Consumers Direct and Trading Standards, i am entitled to be offered a replacement or the PSU to be repaired by OCUK on the basis that under the Sales of Goods Act it wasn't fit for purpose and it didn't last a reasonable period of time (it should last a lot longer than 13months) on the grounds that the product wasn't misused - which it wasn't being sat in the bottom of my case (have an Antec 300 case where the psu is mounted on the bottom), i applied power to the unit accordingly and thing went litterally POP whilst emitting sparks.

OCUK will be a getting a call tomorrow, if it was Scan then the 5 year warranty is with them as they deal with RMA'ing Corsair products (as long as you got them from Scan).
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Jul 09 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

scotland is part of the uk
*JonnyG*

14th Jul 09 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ocuk are a good company, shouldn't mess you around at all. :S

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sales of Good Act - Question (essay) 23 database queries in 0.2527311 seconds