corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Quick questioin about a new phone contract

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick questioin about a new phone contract
noshua

User status: Offline
15th Jul 09 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, mates just bought a phone contract from a high street store (one of those shitty ones like Mobiles2YourFace) and is tied into a 24-month contract. He now wants to cancel it...

Am I right in thinking he has a 14-day guarantee in which he can cancel it for whatever reason he wishes? Obviously as long as the phone is in it's original condition and the account doesn't have any balance on it (calls, texts, data, etc)?
ryzer

15th Jul 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah should think so, depends on the contract, why did he sign if he didnt want it?
noshua

15th Jul 09 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks.

he thought it was a good deal until he got home and i worked it out and showed him he was paying a bit over the odds!
Matt L

15th Jul 09 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh you have 14days aslong as nothing as has been sent/received on the phone and the phone is in original condtion.

I wanted to cancel my contract with 3 but when i turned the phone on and setting it up (to see what the phone was like) it automatically sent a text to nokia club or something so they wouldnt let me cancel it.
stu_c

15th Jul 09 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can take it back with 14 days and whateva he has used within the period he has had the phone he will get billed for

but yes he has 14 days
noshua

15th Jul 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks
noshua

17th Jul 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to take the phone back today and they said they can't cancel it, but didn't give a reason why.

is there anything I can print off to prove that my bro is still within his rights to cancel?
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 09 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's not within his rights to cancel. You are protected by such a period if the transaction took place remotely, ie. over the phone but not if you walk in the shop and do the deal.

You need to prove breach of contract which unless the goods are faulty won't generally be applicable.

You are confusing the industry norm with your legal rights and the two are not the same. Just because most reputable retailers will endorse requests like this above and beyond their legal obligation doesn't mean it suddently becomes a right and you're able to exercise it everywhere.

The best case you have is to ask them nicely to look upon your case favorably. You have no protection in law in this case.

[Edited on 17-07-2009 by Ian]

New Poll