corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » :( *amp protection problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author :( *amp protection problem
corsayoung

User status: Offline
16th Sep 09 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello,

basically i need help, i removed my 6x9's sub and amp to go the the reading festival anyway tried putting them back in and now i get the red light that means it has gone into protection mode, now i fixed this for about 5 minutes but im not sure how so i know the amp etc is all working, but now it isn't.

ground wires are all good as said i had it working, however when i either connect the jacks when the remote cable is or or connect the remote when the jacks are already in i get the red light.

Any idea's?

As said i have had it working for about 5 minutes, came back outside turned it back on and it was back into protection mode. Checked fuses as well and swapped for new ones and still the same.

Must have to reset it somehow maybe?

its a mutant mpk12-a or something

thanks

[Edited on 16-09-2009 by corsayoung]

[Edited on 16-09-2009 by corsayoung]
Richie

16th Sep 09 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amp Protection will only kick in if

1. Earth fault
2. Internal AmpProblem
3. Speaker wiring/speaker fault
4. Short on RCAs'

Does the amp protect mode come on without the sub connected to the amp?

Does it come on without the RCA's connected but with the sub hooked up?
corsayoung

16th Sep 09 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically,

i have speakers and sub (bridged) connect, power, earth.

If i connect the jacks without the remote cable in,the light will be off, the colour the light is meant to be is blue, as soon as i touch the remote to the connection the red light comes off, take it away it goes off.

Do the same but have the remote connected power earth speakers, touch one of the jacks to the input or output ports and the red light comes on, take it away again and goes off.

Its giving out no sound what so ever, only the front speakers are working
Richie

16th Sep 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reearth the amp mate. Especially if you have it going to the seat bracket....

You probably wont believe it but I've done 2 corsas where I've hooked it up to the seatbelt bracked and the earth just hasnt been decent enough. It worked for a while then just stopped happening.
corsayoung

16th Sep 09 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for reply

its earthed at the rear light though, been working fine for a year only since i took it out and tried refitting it have i had problems.

I have taken all wires out multiple times and tried, maybe i will try and earth at the other rear light?
corsayoung

16th Sep 09 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, i just went out and it was all working, as soon as i pulled off and half way down my road it goes back into protect mode as the back stopped playing.
Richie

17th Sep 09 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's either going to be the funky earth or you may have a stray strand of wire causing an issue.

Next point of call would be to hook up just the sub or just the 6x9's to narrow it down. Need i tell you that you shouldnt have a sub and 6x9's anywhoo
corsayoung

17th Sep 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha i need them for the bass, what my car is known for around these parts. I will try with out the speakers connected in a minute and see what we are getting.
Richie

17th Sep 09 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do i dont mean you shouldnt have them at all, just not both at the same time
corsayoung

17th Sep 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm you say that but you havn't heard it
But yea you cant hear it as it isnt working.

Basically i removed the earth and moved it to the other side of the car in the same place though, one of the bolts holding the rear lights on. Been there for ages and worked fine no problem.

Took of the speakers and amp so just had earth remote and power. started the car and the bulb stays off so the amp isn't on so i connect the speaker wires after turned car on, turn car back on again and its the power bulb is still off . connect one of the RCA jacks and the bulb goes red, protect mode!

any idea now
Richie

17th Sep 09 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I probably wouldnt want to hear it as its a bodge setup - you never ever have 6x9's with a sub - it just doesnt work! Soundstage all over the place anyway using 6x9's not to mention the mid waffle from the air being shifted from the sub causing the 6x9 cones to work against it. Need I go on - dont get into a fight with me on this one

OK this particular problem I have also experienced with a 2 shitty Mutant amps that a friend got when A1 Motor stores gave him some stuff to put a few logos up in his car. When the remote wire for some reason didnt have the ability to trigger the amp - worked fine initally but not afterwards.

Is it the only device connected to your remote wire? Try temporarily disconnecting the remote wire and taking a wire from +12v directly to remote on the amp.

I've also defo seen this when it's still an earthing issue - RCA's have an earth which is enough to light up the bulb and not start the amp. - I appreciate you say you have re-earthed the amp but I'm just telling you from experience.

Also had this problem on a Pheonix Gold amp - was again an earthing issue. Have you checked your main earth straps just to be sure too?

If all this fails I would say a faulty amplifier

[Edited on 17-09-2009 by Richie]
corsayoung

17th Sep 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, you say a faulty amp, but it worked briefly for 5 - 10 minutes untill i pulled off, so that made me thing maybe a loose connection of somesort maybe?

It is the only thing connected to my remote wire yes, this is very very strange. I think a picture may be in order as well.
Richie

18th Sep 09 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just undo everything and try again - check all connections. What else could be loose?
corsayoung

18th Sep 09 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not to sure, i think it may be the headunit giving a fault signal.

But ye i have taken everything out and tried several times however i think i will need to reset the amp from protection mode, how will i got about that you rekon. There isn't a reset button haha

btw thanks for the help
Richie

18th Sep 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Protection mode is reset when the amp is switched off - its not something controlled by a switch - its an automatic operation when a fault is detected.

Have you tried bridging REM and +12v on your amp with a small piece of wire?
corsayoung

19th Sep 09 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not yet, i shall try this as soon as possible though

New Poll