corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Had New Phoneline put in but....(essy/rant warning)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Had New Phoneline put in but....(essy/rant warning)
A2H GO

User status: Offline
   1st Oct 09 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We only needed a phoneline installing in our new build property for broadband so we decided to go with Post Office. Called them up, they did their checks and said there will possibly be a charge and this will be confirmed by the engineer, who they said would be out in a week.

Over two weeks later he came out to sort the line, we already had BT points installed throughout the house, after literally 5 mins he came to me and explained that he has not had to do anything and that i should have just called the number on the inside of the grey box on the wall and it would have been sorted over the phone. He said not all new builds have this installed due to the extra cost to the builder and this is why they couldnt tell me on the phone whether there would be a charge or not. He said there definately would be no connection/activation charge.

We had our bill through yesterday and low and behold a charge for £107. I called them and the advisor explained that he had checked the engineers report and that the guy who went to the exchange had to put a line in, hence the charge. He said that the engineer that came to the house to test the line was not the same one that went to the exchange(5 mins down the road) and so he wasnt aware of the work already done prior to arriving at my house.

I smell bullshit and just wanted a second opinion, is this usual practice? I wouldnt have minded paying the charge if i had been informed of it from the start.
Mase
Premium Member

1st Oct 09 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had a dodgy line at my student flat, one engineer came to the house and another was already at the exchange so did some line changing that end and our end, so two were involved in some capacity or another.

I expect in your case they connected the line at the exchange on a different day when they were down there anyway, then came to your house on another day....

Either way, when it comes to connections, these companies have you by the short and curlies really, I've had to pay a forutune setting up lines at the different student flats I've been in over the years...

Mase
A2H GO

1st Oct 09 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mase
When I had a dodgy line at my student flat, one engineer came to the house and another was already at the exchange so did some line changing that end and our end, so two were involved in some capacity or another.

I expect in your case they connected the line at the exchange on a different day when they were down there anyway, then came to your house on another day....

Either way, when it comes to connections, these companies have you by the short and curlies really, I've had to pay a forutune setting up lines at the different student flats I've been in over the years...

That would make sense, but you would think the chap that came to our house would know that somebody has already been to the exchange and done all the work, rather than saying now work was needed and therefore no charge
John

1st Oct 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no chance a new build had a line installed and connected, unless somebody had bought that house before you and had it done, then pulled out.

Strongly argue that you were told there would be no charge though, it's taken you overdrawn and struggling to pay the mortgage etc.
A2H GO

1st Oct 09 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
There's no chance a new build had a line installed and connected, unless somebody had bought that house before you and had it done, then pulled out.

Strongly argue that you were told there would be no charge though, it's taken you overdrawn and struggling to pay the mortgage etc.

I agree and was totally expacting to pay the activation fee, like you say its the fact we were given incorrect information, i feel the need for a letter coming on.
_Allan_

1st Oct 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have posted earlier. I had a code for free BT connection until the end of Sept.

Saved £122 and didn't matter if a line needed installing or not. I'm just waiting for them to come out and replace the blank socket with a master socket as the house is already has a line. They won't let you do this yourself though
John

1st Oct 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't tell them you've done it
_Allan_

1st Oct 09 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No to get the line activated they have to come out to inspect. 1pm - 6pm time slot. Great, in a house with fuck all in it

[Edited on 01-10-2009 by _Allan_]
A2H GO

1st Oct 09 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Should have posted earlier. I had a code for free BT connection until the end of Sept.

Saved £122 and didn't matter if a line needed installing or not. I'm just waiting for them to come out and replace the blank socket with a master socket as the house is already has a line. They won't let you do this yourself though

Cheers anyway dude but I dont like the thought of being in an 18 month contract with BT.
Cavey

1st Oct 09 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had to pay the £122, was over 6 monhts on our bills, £41 each or something like that. Now £40 in credit on bills, so got free calls 24/7 until we've used the extra money.

Moving house in Dec probably, so will probably be charged again
Cavey

1st Oct 09 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although after reading the first post again, we're moving into a new build with BT boxes already, and first fit, apparently, so hopefully just be a case of phoning up to get it connected without a massive fee
_Allan_

1st Oct 09 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Although after reading the first post again, we're moving into a new build with BT boxes already, and first fit, apparently, so hopefully just be a case of phoning up to get it connected without a massive fee

Nope - £122.50 connection charge just for activating , although might be easier to move your account to the new address without taking out a new contract. They'll try and screw you over either way.
Richie

1st Oct 09 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a similar issue before - sent an email to the CEO ian.livingston@bt.com and it got sorted pretty much next day

New Poll