corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Law Day-someone with law knowledge please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Law Day-someone with law knowledge please
bubble

User status: Offline
   1st Oct 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi.

simple question. if a husband and wife live together, in a house worth £250k, but the wife only owns the house, ie in her name, can that house be reposessed for something that is in the husbands name?

for example, if the husband owed £125k to creditors, can they reposess HER house or not as its not the husbands property?
lostboy
Banned

1st Oct 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What have you done? I would like to say no, but I'm not 100% sure.
chloe16v

1st Oct 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pay your debt bubble and stop dragging your wife down
bubble

1st Oct 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, it was a question that got asked today when we heard summat on the radio. got about 20 of us in a debate!
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Oct 09 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My guess would be that it's the marital home, not hers. Therefore it is collateral against any liability by its owners.
bubble

1st Oct 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what if the wife was a registered carer for the husband? can the house still be sold for its asset value?
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Oct 09 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if that changes anything.
Ste
Premium Member

1st Oct 09 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Joe

1st Oct 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd sell it and buy a Lambo.
lostboy
Banned

1st Oct 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
I'd sell it and buy a Lambo.

That's actually a good idea!
ChazSXi

1st Oct 09 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

his debt should not be an onus on her no

if the house and land reg is in her name only then no they cannot...unless he used the house as security with her consent
Cosmo

1st Oct 09 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a tough one to call.

Firstly was the house down as security?

I know when a (married or long time cohab) couple divorce/split, even if the house is only in one name, it can be equally split as lomg as either party can show they contributed to the upkeep.

Id imagine something like that ruling could be used in this case.

Personally though, I think it will come down to the security on the loan.
bubble

1st Oct 09 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
its a tough one to call.

I know when a (married or long time cohab) couple divorce/split, even if the house is only in one name, it can be equally split as lomg as either party can show they contributed to the upkeep.

what if it wasnt a loan? if the guy got fined £150k for summat? no loans, no mortgage nothing. just a fine he couldnt afford to pay?
Cosmo

1st Oct 09 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
its a tough one to call.

what if it wasnt a loan? if the guy got fined £150k for summat? no loans, no mortgage nothing. just a fine he couldnt afford to pay?

imo no - unless they could prove he contributed to the household, even then I dont know if the law works in that way in that situation.
bubble

1st Oct 09 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers!
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Oct 09 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Co-hab is the issue. He has claim on the house if he's contributed to it. Never seen it that way around but I'm sure if a bird moves in to your house and buys some washing powder or something she gets half of it. The law is a bit pissed but it'll be the opposite of what is desirably in this case I would imagine.
DizzyRebel

1st Oct 09 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, its the same as kids living with their parents in debt.... the debt colectors cant take a single item from the property or the property itself. The debt lies with the person, not the homeowner, although the debt, if unsettled would eventually black list that address meaning no occupants would be able to attain credit.
Cosmo

1st Oct 09 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
No, its the same as kids living with their parents in debt.... the debt colectors cant take a single item from the property or the property itself. The debt lies with the person, not the homeowner, although the debt, if unsettled would eventually black list that address meaning no occupants would be able to attain credit.

That may be true with debt collectors going the door, but through the courts Id think it would be seen a lot differently.
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Oct 09 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Co-hab is the issue. He has claim on the house if he's contributed to it. Never seen it that way around but I'm sure if a bird moves in to your house and buys some washing powder or something she gets half of it. The law is a bit pissed but it'll be the opposite of what is desirably in this case I would imagine.

I disagree with that.

If it goes to court the 'guest' living in the house will have to prove a pretty significant input to the running costs of the house to get any of the equity (if any) paying half the bills (not the mortgage) will just be deemed as running costs or rental for living in the property.

I tend to agree with Cosmo here, if it a secured debt on the house its a different matter...but in that instance the debt would have been secured against the deeds.

So its not a black and white case IMO...good question to ask.
Cosmo

1st Oct 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know in Scotland they have specific laws regarding cohab and separations that effectively make it similar to a divorce - even if they only contributed to running costs, etc.

Not sure the exact laws down here like, but think we have moved (through precedents set rather than actual laws) towards something similar.
ed

2nd Oct 09 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Court. Messy.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Law Day-someone with law knowledge please 24 database queries in 0.0120862 seconds