corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Manufacture fault or user fault?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Manufacture fault or user fault?
Shell
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 09 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2540 laptop(wouldn't recommend FS to anyone btw) that has had the same fault break three times now. It's been sent for repair twice already and broke again within 3-4 weeks and is now being sent away yet again for a more permenant fix.
Basically the power port in the laptop keeps coming loose so laptop has to sit in a certain way or it won't charge etc, much like a loose connection.
Called up escalations dept who said they'd look into and get back to me. They came back and said that they'd have a technician look back over the reports and apparently the problem was that the adaptor pin was being pushed too far into the laptop. Now I know this is rubbish because it gets plugged in carefully and never pushed further than it will go. However, they said that particular laptop had this problem because the pin on the adaptor provided with the laptop is too long. They still claim however, this is a user fault, not a manufacturer fault, even though people don't know it's too long.
They've said they are going to give me a new adaptor and replace the motherboard so the repair is more secure(I don't know why they've had to do this but they picked the laptop up early when I was in uni, so couldn't back up anything on the damned thing).

Basically, I want to know, if this breaks again what do I do? As their "permenant" fix and new adaptor won't have worked.
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Oct 09 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No help sorry, but girlfriend has had a FS laptop for a couple of years without a single problem. Wouldn't tar them all with the same brush.
Shell
Premium Member

22nd Oct 09 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, I see. Just Eck and I both have one and they are prone to the same problems so perhaps it's the newer models. My brother and sister have FS p.c's and both had developed faults. Wasn't just going on the basis of mine being broken. But I know what you're saying
LukeS

22nd Oct 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an FS a year ago, its kept frying its internals. Still not fixed.
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Oct 09 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like my g/f was just lucky then
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Oct 09 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the actual fault is really the DC jack (i.e. what you plug the charger into) - it's a common fault across many different makes of laptop, my other half has a Dell laptop with the same problem.

The only solution is to de-solder the old DC jack off the motherboard, clean the area up with isopropyl alcohol and re-solder a new DC jack on to the motherboard (the part itself is less than £5.00 retail), and for it to be a long lasting repair silicone sealant should be used around it to make it more secure on the motherboard.

The only reason they come loose is if there are dry solder joints or if you jam the charger in/push or pull the lead all the time whilst it's in the DC jack.
Richie

23rd Oct 09 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounds like your a user that shouldnt have a laptop!

It's common as much to have a fault like this on a laptop when it's used alot and passed/turned round to show people stuff or pulled about on the sofa ect if you want to get up.

Replacing the mobo will sort it. As they say, excessive force due to the longer pin can be at fault. If they are doing it as a repair they should secure it with sealant and a strong adh pad so it doesnt shift about.

It all started getting worse when they used cheap RoHS lead free solder. I've been to the Fujitsu factory in Augsburg Germany, and their processes have improved 10 fold over the past few years. I've got a LifeBook S6410 that has taken a severe battering and there's nothing wrong with it at all
Shell
Premium Member

25th Oct 09 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to the lad I spoke to, each time they have just re-aligned the DC jack, so doesnt sound like a proper repair. This time they seem to be doing it right however. We'll soon see!
And Richie, my laptop sits on a flat surface at all times, not a couch etc etc. But i'll be sure to bare in mind that in future I shouldn't have a laptop!

[Edited on 25-10-2009 by Shelley]
Richie

25th Oct 09 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's on a flat surface all the time.... why not have a desk and a PC?
Shell
Premium Member

25th Oct 09 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because I'd look an idiot heaving my tower and monitor into uni.

New Poll