corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » cardio - which is most effective for fat burning?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cardio - which is most effective for fat burning?
gtitim

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am aware that in order to burn fat, i need to keep my heart rate at a lower level than if i want to increase my cardio levels.

At my gym I have access to the following machines:

concept 2 rower
treadmill
cross-trainer
stepper
escalator

At present I am doing:

20 mins fat burn programme on stepper
10 mins / 2km on rower
20 mins on escalator on fat burner plus programme

My aim is to reduce my bodyfat percentage.

I am aiming to do this routine every day for the next 6 weeks or so, alongside weights / switching to P90X at some stage.

Can anyone suggest any improvements I can make. I have a time limit of 45mins - 1hr max per day due to family and work commitments.
Carl

2nd Nov 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have got slighlty confused, you need to be working aerobically, iirc about 65% of your max heart rate. Just aim at a level where you feel warmer, were you could still hold a conversation etc. It really is a case of putting the time in, its easy but boring. I'd mix it up for your own sanity, don't bother doing the same everytime do a bit of interval training too. It's all beneficial, even if you dip into anearobic system you are still going to be giving your heart a good run while you recover.
BarnshaW

2nd Nov 09 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

free weights and intense weight training will burn more calories then cardio
gtitim

2nd Nov 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am still doing weights 3/4 times a week, both free weights and compound machine work. I just want to concentrate a bit more on losing excess fat from my gut than on bulking at the moment. Want to get my body fat % down then have a decent frame to bulk from
BarnshaW

2nd Nov 09 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would personally say something like swiming might be worth throwing into the mix.
gtitim

2nd Nov 09 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and swimming dont mix - i am not a fantastic swimmer, besides which, i have to pay for that as my gym doesnt have a pool and I dont have time for it too - with a kid and work its hard enough sneaking off to the gym when i should be bathing and telling stories to little one.
Dan
Premium Member

2nd Nov 09 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id suggest HIIT, 12mins ish of 1min jog, 1min as fast as possible once a week, and 2 sessions of 30-45mins steady state cardio, ie cycling at 30kph

Works for me

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
jacko198

3rd Nov 09 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive always wondered, might be a stupid question, but if you are supposed to go at 65% of you're max heart rate. What exactly is my max heart rate?! How the hell am i supposed to find that out!
Jill
Premium Member

3rd Nov 09 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
Ive always wondered, might be a stupid question, but if you are supposed to go at 65% of you're max heart rate. What exactly is my max heart rate?! How the hell am i supposed to find that out!

To calculate the low end of your Target Heart Rate, 50% of your heart rate reserve I used the karvonen formula:

206.9 - (0.67 x age) = Max Heart Rate (MaxHR)
MaxHR - (resting heart rate) = Heart Rate Reserve (HRR)
HRR x 50% = training range %
training range % + resting heart rate = low end of THR zone

For example mine shows the low end of a THR for a 27 year old with a resting heart rate of 60 bpm:

206.9 - (0.67 x 27) = 188.81
188.81- 60 = 128.81
128.81 x 50%= 64.405
64.405 + 60 = 124.405 beats per minute (round it up to 125)

Use the same calculation to calculate 85% of your maximum (so replace the 50% in the calculation with 85%). In my example that means the bpm would now be: 109.4885 + 60 bpm resting heart rate = 169.4885 (again round up so say 170bpm).

Interval training is good as it gets your heart rate up to the theoretical maximum and then allows you to recover before getting it up again, etc etc. And most machines have an interval setting on them too

JILL
jacko198

4th Nov 09 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So at 85% mine is going to be 174bpm.

So when people say you should do 65% of you're maximum i should be keeping it at about 150bpm, and that should burn fat! Seems pretty crazy, but i will give it ago

Thanks for the calculation!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » cardio - which is most effective for fat burning? 25 database queries in 0.0103741 seconds