corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What would you do... possible job offer!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What would you do... possible job offer!
kz

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 09 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Afternoon...

Just got back from my first interview since being made redundant in June. It's for an IT Technician position in an adult college, done pretty well on the practical test and think the interview went well too it's more money than my previous job and less hours which is a bonus!

Only concern for me is it's a 1hr 15min drive in good traffic, so come the rush hour it's gonna be even worse.

The main point of this thread is that I got an email from the NHS yesterday saying I've been shortlisted for an interview at the local hospital, for a Medical Engineering Technician position, the interviews next thursday... I hear the result of the todays interview tomorrow.

The NHS job is just down the road, and even more money still! Basically, would you accept the first one if you were offered or hold on for the second one? Annoying I've applied for 10+ jobs now and only just heard back from any, and two at the same time I'm half tempted, if they do phone me tomorrow, to say I had a day out planned next thursday which has already been paid for...

So I can start whenever but need that day off! Think that's fair? Or taking the piss... not sure what to do really.

I did like todays one, but NHS is closer, more money, and better prospects, but then again, I might not get it
Neo

3rd Nov 09 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Urm I'd do it, then your safe for now. If you were to get the NHS job, just leave, dont expect pay however and never include it on a CV
am4nf

3rd Nov 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously If you get the first one take it, you never know what will happen with the nhs one
Tom

3rd Nov 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd accept it, but make up a better excuse for the day off you'll need. And btw an hour and 15 isn't so bad, you will get used to it, if the cost of fuel isn't crippling you then it'll be fine.
Neo

3rd Nov 09 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Tom, my commute can be anything up to 2 hours, and it really isnt so bad, its only when your sat in a traffic jam that it gets really annoying.

[Edited on 03-11-2009 by Neo]
Cosmo

3rd Nov 09 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make it clear before or when you accept the colelge job that you need to go the hospital on a certain day - which is not technically a lie
AlexN
Banned

3rd Nov 09 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it IF your offered and just say you want to book that day as holiday if you get an interview for the NHS one
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Nov 09 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speaking selfishly you should take it and tell them as little about what you're up to as possible.

On balance I would probably be completely honest and see what they say.
UGH
Banned

3rd Nov 09 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do both interviews and wait to see what happens.

you can always decline an offer, or lie when you come to start job if you found another inbetween
kz

3rd Nov 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you're pretty much agreeing with my first thoughts thanks. Certainly don't wanna come over as being picky because of the way things are atm... I was made redundant due to the damn credit crunch, but I'm sure you understand.

Now then, just to think of a decent excuse!
MarkSport

3rd Nov 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally i would say accept the job thats an hour+ drive away (if you get it) but explain you need that day off and go the other interview.If you get the hospital job tell the other company its not what you're after.
nathy_87

3rd Nov 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offer MarkSport one of the jobs.
stuartmitchell

3rd Nov 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Accept the firsy job but tell them you want to start a week on Monday. That gives you time to speak to the NHS.

If they have there heads screwed on they will have back up candidates who werent quite as good as you my friend!!

Hope that helps!
M2RTY

3rd Nov 09 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had to chose between two jobs recently

was honest about it, and didnt try and play them off each other
Mertin

3rd Nov 09 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could ask them how long you have to think about whether you want to accept the job (if you get it)
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Nov 09 at 02:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

say you need time before you start
dannymccann

4th Nov 09 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, take the first one and book the interview day off as a hospital appointment. Up to you then about the decision should it come to it, but if you dont get the NHS job and dont accept the first one you are back to square one, where I am
BigSte

4th Nov 09 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have been looking for work since June so you're obviously finding it hard to get work so definitely accept the first one (i'm in the same boat at the minute!)

Keep all options open - say to the first employer that you would love to accept, but you have a hospital appointment on the day of your interview for nhs.

Don't tell them what you are doing - if I had just taken someone on and they said to me they needed time off for an interview I'd fuk em off straight away.

NHS is a notoriusly difficult organisation to get into, most times jobs go to internal applicants so you may not get offered it anyway.

[Edited on 04-11-2009 by BigSte]
kz

4th Nov 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know although I do know someone quite high up in the hospital I'm going for! Albeit a completely different section...

She says that internal people get offered first then if no one takes them, they go on to nhs.jobs.com which is where I applied
kz

4th Nov 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh well nevermind didn't get the job
kz

16th Nov 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the job at the hospital

I think I'm going to be starting on the higher scale which is more than a £5k increase over my previous job!
Root

16th Nov 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in this day and age what with jobs being quite scarce, accept the first offer you get

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What would you do... possible job offer! 23 database queries in 0.0137482 seconds