corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mythbusters - Dirty Car vs Clean Car Episode.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mythbusters - Dirty Car vs Clean Car Episode.
Tiger

User status: Offline
6th Nov 09 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That snowplow one was mental! I couldnt believe how fast it hit the car!!
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Nov 09 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting

Wonder if Ross Brawn was watching.......

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
SVM 286

6th Nov 09 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
my boss was telling me about it, they made a car covered in dimples like a golf ball and the MPG increased as it goes through the air cleaner apparently

*Rushes outside with centre punch and tapping stick*
SVM 286

6th Nov 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Even the mythbusters thought so and were amazed to be proven wrong!

Perhaps it's to do with some kind of small scale, yet beneficial surface turbulence.

I may be utterly wrong but I presume that the dirt/bumps set/s up dozens of (or more) tiny vortices on the surface of the car's body which 'lubricate' the passing air so to speak (a bit like a golf ball).
SVM 286

6th Nov 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lostboy
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Cars aren't because it would be less safe for pedestrians and also more expensive to produce compared to the savings.

And surely, if they had a press to shape the body parts anyway, then they could have the press with dimples in it and that would be it?

I'd imagine that's just so it looks better, a dimply car would look wrong.

Imagine getting the dirt out of all those dimples too.
SVM 286

6th Nov 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Mythbusters ftw

They did find out that when the car was dirty it used more fuel though. Dirty and dimpled aren't the same.

Ah, bugger I thought that had explained why my RS is so fast, especially as it's always bloody filthy.

Was going to say, right, that's it, i'm never washing the car again. Cock it.
Tiger

6th Nov 09 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They were big dimples though, like the kind the a bowling ball would have made numerous times.
ed

6th Nov 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the same reason why you shouldn't have the ports in your head polished to a mirror finish.
SVM 286

6th Nov 09 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They were big dimples though, like the kind the a bowling ball would have made numerous times.
John

6th Nov 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They both explained and showed graphically in a wind tunnel how and why it works.
Daveskater
Premium Member

6th Nov 09 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yup, they made them with tennis balls That's what it looked like they were doing anyway

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
John

6th Nov 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was a bowling ball they used iirc.
Daveskater
Premium Member

6th Nov 09 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They used this:

See here: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/mythbusters-golf-ball-like-dimpling-mpg/

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
John

6th Nov 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's right, they cut the stuff out didn't they instead of making imprints.
whitter45

10th Nov 09 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But, like they said though, why arent cars and aeroplanes designed in this way?

for aircraft providing dimples on leading edges has proved slightly successful - however the boundary layer eventually degrades inducing drag and causing less lift

The golf ball has dimbles as the dimbles induces drag behind the ball as it travels through the air thus forcing the ball through the air like a vortex style

Did Aerospace at Uni and covered all this

Basically at this level of dynamics dimbles do not provide the gain required for aerodynemic lift and the boundary layer is sacrificed

next generation is ground force for aircraft - same principle applied to F1 and indycar aerodynamics - did this for my dissertation
1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

10th Nov 09 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could this explain why women with a bit of celly/dimples can generally bounce better than others? Same principle eh.....
Ojc

10th Nov 09 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1_Litre_Porsche_Beater
Could this explain why women with a bit of celly/dimples can generally bounce better than others? Same principle eh.....

Ooohhh bbaaabbbyyy
SetH

User status: Online
10th Nov 09 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

LMFAOAK47 you shall be commander of my HEFFER armies
RichR
Premium Member

10th Nov 09 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the rougness factor helps to trap a boundary layer of air around the flow perimeter of the car; this boundary layer is actually more efficiently smooth than an polished surface. This is one of the reasons that most aeroplane wings are unpainted
RichR
Premium Member

10th Nov 09 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

for aircraft providing dimples on leading edges has proved slightly successful - however the boundary layer eventually degrades inducing drag and causing less lift

The golf ball has dimbles as the dimbles induces drag behind the ball as it travels through the air thus forcing the ball through the air like a vortex style

Basically at this level of dynamics dimbles do not provide the gain required for aerodynemic lift and the boundary layer is sacrificed

next generation is ground force for aircraft - same principle applied to F1 and indycar aerodynamics - did this for my dissertation

Did you study Wing in Ground effect vehicles, such as the Caspian Sea Monster; it was a phenommonal (sp) piece of engineering!

I'm currently looking at SWATH boats (Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull) which uses similar ground effect lift meaning the boat effectively needs less boat to float
whitter45

11th Nov 09 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

Did you study Wing in Ground effect vehicles, such as the Caspian Sea Monster; it was a phenommonal (sp) piece of engineering!

I'm currently looking at SWATH boats (Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull) which uses similar ground effect lift meaning the boat effectively needs less boat to float

no mate most of my ground effect work was on indy cars for the US

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mythbusters - Dirty Car vs Clean Car Episode. 24 database queries in 0.0163329 seconds