corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » If I was to master reset a netgear router???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If I was to master reset a netgear router???
Jas

User status: Offline
8th Nov 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

resetting netgear d834 would it all need to be set up for it to be wireless enabled or would it automatically be open for all to connect?

I wouldnt be able to access the settings if I reset it you see
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Nov 09 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you might need to re do the settings, cant you plug in a Ethernet cable to the router and do it that way?
ed

8th Nov 09 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isn't a master reset as such is there? I think the only option you've got is to re-boot it from the control panel, which is essentially turning it off and on again. That certainly doesn't get rid of any of the settings, and once it's woken up again all the connected devices will re-connect as normal.
ed

8th Nov 09 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can revert to factory settings though in one of the options, however it gives you the option to backup your current settings and download them as a file. You can also upload settings to restore them.
Jas

8th Nov 09 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the problem being its a kiosk4buisness system so i cant get to the desktop
Dom

8th Nov 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can factory reset it via the reset button on the back of the router (typical hold a button for a few secs then release etc). Otherwise from what i remember, doing a firmware flash will also reset the router to factory settings. Other than that, i don't think you can do a factory reset any other way and powering the router down/up only reboots the router (all settings are obviously restored unlike a factory reset).
Also you can save settings, but if you're doing a factory it isn't the best idea as it can cause problems - has happened to me a few times with netgear routers, caused the router to lock etc.

And yes, wireless tends to be enabled after a factory reset although beit not secured. Only issue you have is if you get something wrong and lock out the wireless you'd have to be physically near the router to reset it etc.

I'm guessing you don't have physical access to the router? If you do, laptop and a network cable is all you need.

[Edited on 08-11-2009 by Dom]
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Nov 09 at 16:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to be at the router anyway to push the button, have a patch lead handy and a laptop and you'll get the web admin panel fairly easily.

It'll be wide open after a factory reset.
Jas

14th Nov 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my problem being..

If i reset and the kiosk thing connected via ethernet stops working..

if I reset and it kept working just lost the wireless protection then id do it in a second but I know that wont be the case

ive got a laptop just worried il need loads of settings to get it right
sand-eel

14th Nov 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a netgear router, the reset button on the back reset everything, you have to set it up from scratch, also the security stuff turned off so you need to set up the setting and passwords again.
Jas

14th Nov 09 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont mind if its just the wep that needs setting up its just it needs to work in general

New Poll