corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Tell me what you think.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tell me what you think.....
Gareth F

User status: Offline
25th Nov 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.... on my corsa x16xe i was driving about when i stopped there was steam pouring out my bonnet. Took it to a garage and they say its the water pump seal has gone, so they change the pump and the cambelt. After the work was done i noticed (after the 3 month cover period) the coolant was boiling past the collant bottle cap and leaving residue on the bottle. So i bought a new cap as they sometimes fail but this has not cured it..... on all my other corsas you could run the engine and the coolant would pump round and back into the bottle but now instead of doing that the bottle just fills up and spews coolant out and empties the system!
What would be causing this to happen as no other corsas i know do this. Please help as im stumped
johnhara1

25th Nov 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possible that the HG has failed and the coolant is being pressurised?

If the coolant isnt circulating, your thermostat may be stuck closed, take it out and stick it in a pan of boiling water, it should open.
Gareth F

25th Nov 09 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The coolant is circulating and there is no oil in coolant or coolant in oil. They done a sniff test a few weeks ago and no exhaust fumes were picked up in the coolant so its not a HG failure there either. Really got me stumped!
Gareth F

25th Nov 09 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody ?
Gareth F

26th Nov 09 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really need help with this
johnhara1

26th Nov 09 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you flushed the coolant system since this started happening and made sure there are no air locks?

Does your fan work?

stingray1987

26th Nov 09 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you shud just seel it and let me have your headlights lol try taking off the cap when the engine is ticking over and squeeze every water pipe u can find and try get rid of all the air in the system.
Richardhhha

26th Nov 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they have done the sniff test and it isnt head gasket and the coolant is bubbeling over like that then there are three things,

1: there is a blockage somewhere but this normaly happens when a car has been left for ages and not run of there is a air lock which id unlikely in your case as the car has been ok up untill now.

2: the thermostat has broken and is not lowing the coolant to circulate.

3: the water pump has failed and is not pressurising the coolant enough thus cauing it to boil over.
Gareth F

26th Nov 09 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i run the car with the cap off it over flows....
The water pump was replaced and is still pumping coolant around....
Havnt had the system redone as ive had no money......
The fan still kicks in at just under 100 and brings the temp back down to 95ish and when driving in cold conditions the engine temp stays around 90.......
Squeezed all the pipes to move the air.....

Could it be the thermostat stuck slightly shut and when the cap is on it forces the water through it but when i take the cap off its easier for the water to spill out rather than circulate?

Thanks for all the help so far though
Gareth F

26th Nov 09 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also i may have used the wrong words, its not as if its boiling over as the temp stays down but it over flows and over pressurises (pushes past the coolant cap release valve)
barneykarl

26th Nov 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stat or pump or pump impellar I would think, you will have to replace stat then if no joy remove and check pump.
Gareth F

26th Nov 09 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm but if it was the pump then surely it wouldnt be pumping coolant into the header tank. Its as if when you take the cap off the pump pumps it all into the top tank but it doesnt feed back down into the engine causing it to spill over.
Gareth F

26th Nov 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So would this possibly be a block or the stat stuck shut?
alan-g-w

26th Nov 09 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave the header tank cap off, let the car get up to temperature and squeeze the radiator top hose to get rid of any air locks.
Gareth F

26th Nov 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which is what ive done, no air bubbles come out and then the headertank fills up and spills over.
Richardhhha

26th Nov 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no the pump will push the collant around, but it has to get to a serten pressure to be affective, the impella might be sliping inside the pump and thus your coolant will over flow as its expanding to much..

its science if you pressurise water then the boiling point in increased.

do a thermostat as its the easyest thing to do, then if that dont fix it then you'll need to take it back to the garage and ask them to look into why your water pump's not working effectivly if they changed it recently
Gareth F

27th Nov 09 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if it was boiling up then surely the temp gauge would show that?
johnhara1

27th Nov 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The headertank will always fill up and spill over with the cap off, it's a presurised system.

With the cap on it shouldn't spill over past the cap as it should seal.

Like i said earlier and richard said, change your thermostat and flush the coolant system.

Do it yourself, it's easy.
Gareth F

27th Nov 09 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i think i will. Cant remember but on the x16xe is the thermostat on the front left of the engine or is it a pig to get to like everything else on these engines? Also where do people get rid of their coolant (dont want to annoy neighbours or police) lol. Maybe take it somewhere and have the system flushed aswell?
johnhara1

27th Nov 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just don't leave the coolant \ antifreeze anywhere where cats\dogs could drink it as it can kill them and they're attracted to it.
Gareth F

27th Nov 09 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i know about that, woman was slipping into her husbands dinner every day and slowly but surely he got brain damage Nasty stuff.
Dont know how to get rid of it though.
Richardhhha

27th Nov 09 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

catch it in a container and take it to your local garage and ask wether they can get rid of the wast anti freez..

Oh and the thermostat is on the left of the engine at the front, its a trianguler flandge with a pipe going to it from the rad just above the power stearing pump. It will take about 10 minuits to change

[Edited on 27-11-2009 by Richardhhha]
Gareth F

27th Nov 09 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it something i can quickly swap without loosing all the coolant then just top up?
Ie just cap the holes? Only asking as im not alowed to do any major mechanics on my car outside my property
Richardhhha

27th Nov 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

takes 10 minuits and yep you can top the coolant back up.

you'll need to get a new gasket and new thermostat,

Gareth F

28th Nov 09 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok spoke to a mate whos a pretty good mechanic, he thinks its a block so were gunna flush the system through and see what happens. Thanks for all your help though.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Tell me what you think..... 24 database queries in 0.0161371 seconds