corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Opinions on...Fabia VRS (please)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Opinions on...Fabia VRS (please)
boylers11

User status: Offline
30th Nov 09 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm tempted by a swap for one of the above on a 54 plate, 85,000 miles in...yellow
Cruise control, 6 speed box and Xenon headlights.

Seems to have most history etc. It's pushing 160 bhp...so it's been mapped (awaiting more info from seller on that one).

Obviously if it's been mapped, I need to be checking clutch etc, but how do these cars rate in general?
They're basically a VW golf, but is there anything imparticular I should look out for/be aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think someone on here got a black one not so long ago?
John

30th Nov 09 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brilliant cars, they aren't basically a golf, basically a polo.

If it's 160bhp the clutch should be ok as long as it's not got silly torque.

Xenons are rare, I couldn't find any for sale with them recently.
boylers11

30th Nov 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahha, right ok, cheers John.
He reckons its 252lbs torque...sounds reasonable?

The only thing putting me off is the colour really and 'saleability factor' when I want to sell up.

John_C

30th Nov 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

130bhp and 229lbs is standard

A remap would be 170hp and 280lbs

over 300 is where the clutch will give out
John

30th Nov 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A remap doesn't have to be 170 and 280.

160 and 252 should be fine for the clutch, it starts to slip (normally, not always) at about 280.

Feel the back carpets, the door seals fail on all polo and golf platform cars, it's an easy fix but a bargaining point.

Not much went wrong with mine, whatever ecu controls the lights failed which was fixed under warranty, a creaking drivers seat, again warranty.
boylers11

30th Nov 09 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can a bog standard mechanic fix most things on them, or do they have to go the the 'main dealer' for most things?
John

30th Nov 09 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vagcom is handy for electronics related things but apart from that it's pretty standard.

I'm well below a bog standard mechanic and the only reason it went near a dealer was because it had warranty.
chrisd1983

30th Nov 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it, had mine a while now, I think you approached me when I put it on pistonheads.

Very good cars for the money, cheap to run and with a good remap there fun to drive!

Get yourself on Briskoda.net theres plenty of how to guides etc.

Any more info you need let meknow!
xa0s
Banned

30th Nov 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My friend bought a bog standard 130bhp Fabia vRS with 45,000 on the clock and had it remapped to 170bhp. It was a bad map and he then took it to somewhere else for 180bhp. Revo then told him they could get 190bhp out of it so he had it done again. He put over 10,000 miles on the clock with 170-190bhp and it was fine.

He then had tons of work done and got it up to 220bhp with a hybrid turbo. He put a further 3,000 miles on the standard clutch before deciding to upgrade. The clutch never slipped or showed any sign of wear in all honesty, people are very critical of the Fabia's clutch but in his experience it's just internet talk... He has driven the car hard and then goes on Briskoda to read comments like "Any more than 150bhp will eat the clutch after a few miles!" and it's just not true in his experience.

He's now had 220bhp for over 5,000 miles and is about to uprate the injectors which he's been told will see over 250bhp by F1 in Brighton where he normally has his work done. It's generally been a very reliable car but he's had some issues with the gearbox linkage and front bushes.
StuartVRS

30th Nov 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cracking cars, only reason we sold ours is we wanted the octavia vrs. Just ask him how many miles have been done since mapping etc so you know info and make sure you have receipts for it and who did it. Yellow was my first choice in colour until i saw it in the flesh, so we went for red in the end.
chrisd1983

30th Nov 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did you find the jump from the Fabia to the Octavia, fancy getting one in the summer.
boylers11

30th Nov 09 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's it, I'm a tad worried about the colour to be honest. It's certainly not to everyone's taste. If it could look smart with different wheels, lowered etc, I'd be very interested...it's just sooo yellow!
Flybikeslee is making his Octavia look pretty smart from looking at his project thread though...
shibby

30th Nov 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate just sold a standard vrs - didnt have any problems with it atall, good cars with a great engine
StuartVRS

30th Nov 09 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisd1983
How did you find the jump from the Fabia to the Octavia, fancy getting one in the summer.

much better car imo, more comfort and feels more solid. Cant rival an octavia vrs for the money for similar spec and age and mileage. We were gonna sell ours, but couldnt find anything decet to replace it with other than another one
StuartVRS

30th Nov 09 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
That's it, I'm a tad worried about the colour to be honest. It's certainly not to everyone's taste. If it could look smart with different wheels, lowered etc, I'd be very interested...it's just sooo yellow!
Flybikeslee is making his Octavia look pretty smart from looking at his project thread though...

On skodas website there is a yellow octavia vrs for sale thats yellow with black wheels. Doesnt actually look that bad. I just expected the yellow to be more like the Seat Leon equivilant, but its a lot duller and looks faded imo thats what put me off
deano87

30th Nov 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically a Golf? I thought they were Polo/Ibiza size?
psycho sport

30th Nov 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stolen from Briskoda....

i love my Fabia Vrs! Get it got!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Opinions on...Fabia VRS (please) 23 database queries in 0.0820320 seconds