corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » FreeSat

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FreeSat
James

User status: Offline
4th Dec 09 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly a stupid question.

I'm aware that the only true HD channels on freesat are BBC HD and ITV HD but will I get an improved picture quality on the other channels if I get freesat?

Thanks.
John

5th Dec 09 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will get an improvement because it's using hdmi instead of scart, I'd get sky HD with one of the free intallation deals though.
James

7th Dec 09 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't justify the monthly cost when it won't really get used.

The Freesat HD is built into the TV I've bought. I'm assuming the picture will be better than using the built in Freeview?
John

7th Dec 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh built in, yes it will be, when it's built in it's a no brainer, can always get sky at a later date if you have a need for it.
Dom

7th Dec 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Ahh built in, yes it will be....

Technically not true - bandwidth is pretty limiting on Freesat (until they switch to DVB-S2), Astra2D/Eurobird sats, so you'll find that a lot of channels (BBC channels, excluding HD, are pretty much even) are broadcasted with lower bitrates and frame sizes (544x576 instead of 720x576) than Freeview. Also a lot of HD channels have higher bitrates on Freeview than they do on Freesat - ie: BBC HD pumps out 12mb/s on Freeview, compared to 9.7mb/s on Freesat.

If it's in-built then i would be suprised if Freesat offered a better picture over Freeview, but obviously it depends how your telly is doing the processing and upscaling. If you're using an external STB, then there are a load factors (connection used, STB processing/upscaling, TV processing/upscaling etc) that come in to play.

But if you have a satellite already up or can get one installed then i would do it, mainly because you do get a few channels. However, keep your aerial/freeview as you do also loose some channels on Freesat (mainly +1 channels).
John

7th Dec 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless it's using a scart cable to connect internally it will offer a better picture, I wasn't getting as complicated as channel bandwidths.
Dom

7th Dec 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Unless it's using a scart cable to connect internally it will offer a better picture, I wasn't getting as complicated as channel bandwidths.

the Freeview and Freesat tuners will feed the upscaler/processer the same, so i'm not sure how you're working that one out In which case it comes down to bitrates/frame sizes and what processing the TV does on the video sources.
Like i said, i'd be very suprised if Freesat offered a better picture in this case. Again, using an external STB you have loads of other variables that can change the PQ/SQ etc.
James

7th Dec 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was mainly getting at the fact that the FreeSat box receives it's signal from a satellite rather than standard TV aerial.

[Edited on 07-12-2009 by James]

New Poll