corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » what do i need to change head?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what do i need to change head?
corsaproject2010

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 09 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right ive got mine off, and should be getting a second hand one soon...

i want to price it all up and make sure ive got all the right bits and pieces..

so what do i need?

gasket kit - price?

head bolts - price?

cam belt - price?

garage to time it up - price?

if i change the water pump at the same time is that going to set me back much?

also any other bits and pieces worth doing?

thanks
Root

24th Dec 09 at 01:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do you need a new cam belt to change the head?
and do the timing yourself, put it in gear and rock it back and forth and set up TDC, there are markings on the belt and on the cover for it.
Richardhhha

24th Dec 09 at 03:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mainly because if you take a cambelt off thats been on for well any time at all then its compremised and should be changed as they strech slightly and you increase there chances of snapping using a old belt..

need a gasket set,
cambelt kit,
head bolts

use a haynes manuel to do the timing its pritty easy.
Root

24th Dec 09 at 03:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
mainly because if you take a cambelt off thats been on for well any time at all then its compremised and should be changed as they strech slightly and you increase there chances of snapping using a old belt..

need a gasket set,
cambelt kit,
head bolts

use a haynes manuel to do the timing its pritty easy.

well my belt is about 10k old but if i wanted to change the head i wouldn't replace it, all im saying is, changing a head does not involve changing a belt, not usually anyway. Unless it needs doing
tom130691
Premium Member

24th Dec 09 at 04:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh its like changing the head bolt you can use old ones its just not the best thing for the engine
im goin to be doing this soon on mine geting a 1.4 sri head for my 1.2 8v slow mobile
Root

24th Dec 09 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
tbh its like changing the head bolt you can use old ones its just not the best thing for the engine
im goin to be doing this soon on mine geting a 1.4 sri head for my 1.2 8v slow mobile

lol, got the same engine. It probs won't make it faster, just make it gulp down EVEN more fuel. 28mpg is pathetic for a 1.2
corsaproject2010

24th Dec 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks for that, it seemed to make sense changing the belt.. i dont know when it was last done and would suck to have it go soon and have to do all the work again..

thanks
Root

24th Dec 09 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsaproject2010
ok thanks for that, it seemed to make sense changing the belt.. i dont know when it was last done and would suck to have it go soon and have to do all the work again..

thanks

definitely worth changing then. But there is a trick to get the timing up yourself, just get the car in gear and rock it back and forth until it's at TDC. You'll understand what i mean when you undo the bottom bolt (another trick to undo this is get the ratchet on it (bottom pulley bolt) and turn it over with the valves not working so you dont bend them. that way the engine turns over, moves the ratchet, smacks the ratchet on the chassis, undoing the bolt because sometimes its very stiff to undo.
corsaproject2010

24th Dec 09 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much would i be looking at paying a garage to time it? i dont want to balls that up and then have to start all over again.
dean101287

24th Dec 09 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or jack up the drivers side so just the drivers side front wheel is off the floor, stick the car in 5th gear and turn the wheel untill TDC is found
Root

24th Dec 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dean101287
Or jack up the drivers side so just the drivers side front wheel is off the floor, stick the car in 5th gear and turn the wheel untill TDC is found

nice, another good trick

New Poll